91 Honda Civix DX

Asked by Oct 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM about the 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback

I have a 91 Honda Civic Hatchback DX, 16 valve 4 cylinder engine, fuel injected. Been having starting problems. I literally JUST bought it a couple of days ago and when I test drove it, it started right up. Here recently it's been starting good off and on, but sometimes it just doesn't. It wants to turn over, but it just won't catch. If you push the gas pedal to the floor once and release before you start it, or play with the throttle cable it will start... sometimes. Yesterday, we couldn't get it to start at all and my father in law unplugged something, I don't know what it was, but it was three wires connected to a little yellow piece, and it was connected to the PGM-FI, and it started perfectly a couple of times. I've been told to replace the fuel pump and check fuel injection main relay... Could it be one of those, or what else could it be? It has also been running funny, it has really slow pick up, and  sometimes it will bog down on me going down the road. I have already replaced the O2 sensor and that helped a lot, but it will still do it every once in a while...could that be clogged fuel injectors or fuel pump too? Help please!

22,435

Wow- it's an old car and it could be anything, or any number of things- it is a starting/idling problem so it is unlikely to be a fuel pump or injectors- you are behind the eight ball because the car is not worth putting a lot of money into- I hope you didn't pay a lot of money-

I paid $1500 for it. But other than the starting problems it drives and handles like a dream and is in excellent condition for it's year. Had the relay and everything checked out yesterday and that all was fine. My mechanic is leaning towards a leak in the head gasket at the moment, which explains the white smoke I guess, it doesn't do it while driving though, only when you first start it. We checked all the electronics and wires and everything, all that is working right.

10

Did you figure it out yet? I had a 1991 Hb for 10 years 12 years later bought a used one. Have had these issues with the second one. Let me know.

Check TPS or MAP or any vacuum leaks