When I was driving down I-95 last weekend, I had my arm resting just outside the window, feeling the breeze. Suddenly the tip of my finger felt severely pinched, causing me to remove my arm in pain. I thought it may have been a piece of debris from the roadway. However, the next day, as I was once again driving on the highway, arm resting outside the window, I received a strong jolt just below my elbow! This time it left a red mark. It felt like a moderate electric shock, so I took it to the mechanic, who said he found nothing. Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous driving the car, wondering whether I'll get shocked again. Nobody I've talked to has ever heard of this happening. The car is a 1992 Honda DX, in good condition. A friend in the car at the time of the second shock pointed out that the paint is peeling at the base of the window area, so maybe this has something to do with it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, just for some peace of mind!Thanks.
ouch! that could get Pavlovian- and what could be worse that cruising and not being able to put your elbow on the window, all cool- there must be a short- your car is old enough to have a wire come loose in the door- so what is electrical inside that door? power windows, door locks? little lights? are any of them not working? if everything is working, check in the door jamb where the wires go into the door? insulation worn away? You might have to take the door panel off, turn the ignition on and feel around- hahahaha- are you SURE there's not a tiny piece of metal sticking up in elbow land?
Sure as heck sounds like an electrical short somewhere..emanating from the power window, door locks, or mirror section(s)...assuming ALL of these are power operated of course. Was this a Honda mechanic or a local mechanic?? That does sound annoying as hell...hope you are able to get it fixed.
If you strike out on the above try this: find an old flat fan belt, and cut it so you have one long piece, use a self tapping metal screw and washer and attach one end of the belt using the screw and washer to some part of the subframe, be careful not to hit anything important, let the belt hang down to the ground and cut it off so about an inch just drags the ground, this will kill any static buildup from just driving your car, now try your roadtest to see if you can duplicate the condition.
if the mechanic checked it out maybe your alternator is creating too much juice. just a thought.
Looking for a Used Civic in your area?
CarGurus has 71,127 nationwide Civic listings starting at $1,200.
Search Honda Civic Questions
Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.
Honda Civic Experts