My car shutoff in the high way what do u think happened

Asked by Jan 26, 2015 at 07:52 PM about the 1992 Honda Accord EX

It's a 92 honda accord and it just died out of
no where and I noticed it was leaking oil
what do u think

3,275

Does it restart or crank after it died? If it does/did, it could be a number of things. If it doesn't, you could have leaked out all the oil and seized up the engine.

Best Answer

Um ya it cranks over and wants to start but I don't want to keep trying and mess it up do u have any suggestions or do u live in colorado springs lol

3,275

LOL, no, I live in Danbury CT. First, when you first turn the key to the on position and all the idiot lights on the dashboard come on, do you hear a humming or slight buzzing sound ? This would be the fuel pump and if you listen carefully you should hear some kind of sound from the car. If you do not hear any sounds it could be that your fuel pump has died or the fuse has blown for the fuel pump. Let me know please. First things first, fuel to the engine, then spark to ignite the fuel. As far as continuing to crank the engine, if it doesn't start but you keep trying the most harm you can do is to ill the battery & need a jump start or charge the battery. Which brings another question to mind, have you tried to start the car with the help of another person and using jumper cables from their battery to yours? Some cars can be very temperamental and won't start or run with as much as a 1 or 11/2 voltage drop. I know that may sound a bit strange, but it does happen. A fully charged and fully charging battery should always have between 12 volts and 131/2 volts, so you could just try starting it with a jump from another car first and if it works, your battery could be weak or your voltage regulator could be failing so you are sometimes running the car off the battery instead of the engine & voltage regulator. I had that exact problem 2 weeks ago with my wifes car, sudden loss of power, the maint required light came on and stayed on. Started right up with a jump & ran long enough to get it off the side of the road to the nearest parts store & replaced the alternator. That car has never run better than it does now. If jumping doesn't work, you could remove one end of the hose from the air filter box, spray some starting fluid into the hose, then reattach it and try to start it again. If it starts you more than likely have a fuel problem, if it doesn't, it could be an ignition spark problem.

Dam it ok lol I figured u would b out of state but it was worth a try ha ha and ok so I found a honda mechanic he has a shop so I'm gonna go from there thx

3,275

OK, sorry I couldn't be of more or better help to you. It's always tough when so far apart & not knowing how mechanically inclined the other person is. Good luck. One thing I have learned in 45 years of fixing cars, the Japanese and Korean cars can be very very temperamental. My wifes car I told you about lost 1 volt and went totally nuts.

That's ok I'm glad u replyed but I'm no kinda mechanic lol I just was wondering if I could've blew my motor and I pray I didn't

3,275

As long as the engine tries to spin and the pulleys actually move when you turn the key to start, your engine should be fine, and the problem is most likely fuel, or electrical (the spark needed to ignite the fuel) in nature, but would just be a matter of pinpointing the problem and how much it would cost to fix it.

Oh ok thats a stress reliever lol thank u so much for ur advice I appreciate it

So I blew the motor and it's fucked just my luck

3,275

Sorry to hear that Amber, and I must say I am surprised because most engines will make some type of noise like a bang or something when they blow, or won't spin or crank at all. Anyway, if it make you feel any better, you are not alone when it comes to oil problems, I run 5 cars at a time and I swear I am the only one that bothers ever checking the dam oil or noticing leaks. Most people take so much for granted and just think "gas it and go". Your luck sounds a lot like mine.