Front end Vibration on a 92 Accord

Asked by Aug 18, 2010 at 06:01 PM about the 1992 Honda Accord DX

Got a 92 Accord with 249000 miles and every time you step on the brakes the front end starts to vibrate. It's hard to tell which side the problem is on. One time it feels like its on the left, the next time it feels like the right. Almost feels like the wheels are bouncing.

Here's what I've done: 1 Checked wheel hubs and bearings and they are ok. 2 Had both rotors replaced. 3 Had both outer tie rods replaced, plus had the left inner tie rod replaced. 4 Had the left lower ball joint replaced. 5 And lastly had both calipers rebuilt.

The replaced items were all original and bad and needed replaced. At this time I also know that the drivers side upper ball joint is bad. Though I wouldn't think that the ball joint would be the cause of the vibration. (It will be replaced in a couple of days) Stopping isn't a problem.

Question I have is. I notice when backing and turning sharp the left CV axle makes a winding sound(not loud or clicking) but its enough to tell ya to get the axle checked. If this axle is bad could it cause the vibration when braking. Also the car has all the original bushings which could be replaced. Or how about struts if one goes bad could it cause the vibration. I know I'm reaching but I'm running out of ideas and the car runs too good to let this thing go.

1,035

if it only does it with the bakes its prob. in the brake sys. 9/10 front rotors are to blame for that. if it has abs it could be in that too.

Thanks for the response. I've already replaced the rotors. Car doesn't have ABS. But just now while reading your post a thought came. Before I got the new rotors I took the old ones to get machined. Only I took them off the hubs(which was a mistake). I found out that they have to be on the hubs to be machined. So maybe I need to take the new ones to be machined. Just a couple of thousands and that would true up the rotors to the hubs.

20

i have the same problem and had the rotors turned on the car.. no difference.. i was planning on replacing the hubs and rotors but now i am wondering if it could be the abs .. the mechanic said after 5 days the rotors were blue again.. go figure.. i don't want to spend tons of money for nothing .. let me know what you found. Dave

4,325

when was the last time you had an alignment done? also how are your tires?

45

From experience... brake "wobbling" "jerking" or pull is signs of a warp or glazed rotor. Look at them and make sure they are not smooth to the touch or glassy finish. I know you said that you replaced them but sometimes you get poor workmanship on the casting of the parts...

30

i can tell you what is wrong with right now the inside of the rotors are probley tore up mine were I thought any time you apply the brakes on a Honda an their are shaking in the stearing it is the rotors