Car started making weird noise while running?

Asked by Nov 13, 2008 at 02:28 PM about the 1993 Honda Prelude 2 Dr Si Coupe

I just bought this car about 3 months ago from a car dealer for my son's first car.  It has 105,000 miles on it, but it was very well maintained...I have all the maintenance reports from the dealer..(the original owner bought it from them and had it regularly serviced by them).  Just about 2 weeks ago when you start the car it sounds like metal scraping on metal sound coming from engine compartment around the altenator..but I dont think it is coming from altenator...it makes the sound all the time driving or idling, doesnt get louder nor does the engine run any differently from the day we bought it...car is acting perfectly fine except for this sound...(to me it sounds like something touching up against flywheel and making metal on metal scraping sound).

7,995

Could be a handful of things... Take it to a shop to have it looked at, as there isn't too much that can be done to diagnose a noise from a distance... I would ask if it changes pitch or volume at all when you bring the rpm's up? Knowing this can limit the possibilities for whoever tries to diagnose the problem...

just for the heck of it try taping around the entire front windshield including the gap between the bottom of the windshield and occluding the gap just give it a try drive it slow/moderate and high and see if the sound persists....mine stopped after a yr. of searching..... can not get this underline to go away...new puter...ugh

oops! bottom of windshield and hood area. my mechanic and I figured out it was the air vibrating the plastic molding...NO JOKE...no more shrill whistle sounds.. going to get silver tape as the bright yellow test tape we used stands out a tad too much...lol