Lacks power in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.

40

Asked by Mar 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM about the 1993 Honda Civic DX

40

Sorry, I accidentally hit enter. The car sounds like in 3rd, 4th and 5th, like their all the same gear. When I goto put my foot half way down on the accelerator it revs up, sounds like she wants to go, but she doesn't pick up.... Infact the fastest it will pick up is when I'm lightest on the gas, or in 1st or 2cnd... Also the clutch, is more like a switch, I slowly pull my foot off, no pull, until I reach a certain point where the car is just in gear. So I have to give it a little gas to give it that kick from not stalling out. I know the clutch is problematic, but does the lack of power have anything too do with the clutch?

285

Sounds like its slipping. When you put your foot down the power overcomes the weakened traction that's why you seem to have more power when you're lighter on the gas. Either its not biting fully or its worn out.

40

Alright thats what I thought as well. Guy I bought the car from said to use break fluid some where too help with the clutch witch doesn't fully make sense too me... I personally don't think that's proper for the clutch. Car is a piece of $@%t car. I am looking too just gain experience mechanically, that and MAYBE have a beater car too drive if I can get it up to par for a safety. I can easily find a safety the way the car is.... but it doesn't feel too safe, heh... Just not the way to go about things as well. So it's money well wasted.

285

OH! He means that your clutch is a hydraulic clutch and that its lacking fluid. That would explain why the clutch lacks pressure and isnt biting. You can check its level and if its low, fill it up with brake fluid. That might be it. Yeah and old cars arent the safest things haha. Crash technology wasnt that great back then.

40

Do you know where I would be putting the brake fluid? And is their any other fluid that I should be using as opposed too brake fluid that might do a better job? I'm pretty sure I will be replacing the clutch any ways from the feel of things, even after the fluid, I can only imagine that improving things so much.

200

Put DOT 3 brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder, next to the brake master cylinder located next to the left hinge of the hood. Before filling it, make sure that the fluid is not dirty, if so, then bleed it.

1,545

if the brake fluid thing doesnt work, try checking your clutch plates, open up your transmission box and see to it that every wheels and plates have complete teeth on them, its not only the fluid container...sometimes you have to put grease on the plates themselves...but not too much causeit would build up too much friction...it might be that one of the clutch plates are already missing a tooth (broken) so it slips...it happens often to the larger plates (3rd to 5th usually)...the fairly expensive BUT safest way is to replace clutch blades that are worn out...you dont wanna risk to have broken pieces of those plates in your transmission box...im tellin you, it's gonna be nasty...the first gear you might lose is the reverse, probably one of the most important ones in your gearbox...

40

Well if I can get the tools to do the job, I've looked up some clutches, and it shouldn't cost me too much, some where between 120-200. So it shouldn't be too much if I can get the job done myself... I could see this taking a while, but it's a learning experience right? And the next time I need to do it, it wont take me nearly as long as I will know what too do. The front suspension has something wrong with it, but it doesn't feel/sound (haven't looked yet) like it's going too go any time soon, so I'm not too worried about that. But expense wise, I'm more worried about that then I am the clutch. I do not think the suspension will be a do it myself job, so... That one could end up costly

40

Alright, so I checked the fluid... Its filled too the brim, and it looked clear. So next step is too borrow or buy some tools. And check out the actual clutch, and probably after that, I will be going out for a new clutch... tie rods, body filler, metal grinder... aye this car is definitively a piece of work. I personally think the front suspension looks iffy, but with the engine already at 320,000km, I think I may just leave it as is, who knows they may still outlast the engine.

40

Also would having a hydrolic/powered clutch, over cable... (I think thats how it goes, I have yet to buy the repair manual, I'm doing body work before all else) Anyways, would that at all make a difference to the clutch I want too be buying? Or can I just go cheap?

285

A cable's fine. Even EVO's used to use cables. Its easier to adjust too. Hope your clutch is biting now. Unless you plan to get rid of the car soon, I say invest in the engine rather than the body. A re-vitalised engine has a higher resale value too.

40

Today, I have tackled the rust on the hood, primer, and painted it. (the hood was in no condition to deserve it, but it was too see if I could do the job okay) And actually, I'm thinking when the engine goes, or w/e happens down the road, I might replace the engine. This is why I am actually putting work into the body, ect. (I personally love Honda's, I don't know why, I just like the feel rather then any other car) I wont be taking a look at the clutch for about a week or two, the car is sitting happily in a friends driveway, for now. I will need funds for the clutch, and then see if I can borrow some tools off my uncle, hopefully it's not too complicated. But even if it takes be hours to figure out once I actually have the right stuff, at least the next time, I will know what too do and have it done a lot quicker.