squeals when I start the vehicle

Asked by Dec 16, 2009 at 09:33 PM about the 1994 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

Any idea what it is that squeals when I first start my Passport. It will squeal for a few minutes and then stops. I had a new altenator put on and belt. Could it possibly be the fan clutch? The squeal also starts when I turn the lights and the defrosters on at the same time and the lights get really dim.

120

A few things, sounds like your alternator belt may not be tight ot your tensioner may be shot. Your other falts are caused by a load when you turn on your defrost or ac . I would really check to see if the belts are tight .

The belt may be wore out.That will cause it,But if the belt is good then check your idler pulley.cause that is what keeps the belt tight.It has a spring that keeps tention on it.Either the idler pulley spring is bad and its not putting enough pressure on the belt.Or the pulley its self has a bad bearing.Take your belt of and spin the pulley.It should be easy to spin,and smooth.if it spins real rugh or hard to spin.then there you go.remember a wore out belt is the main cause.

45

its the belts. I just replaced all three on mine because mine were doing the same thing. Just make sure you got them tight enough and it should quit squeling.

190

Yeah, the Serpentine Belt on this is SUPER EASY to replace! You don't have to remove anything to do it either. Do you know how to release tension on the tensioner pulley? Do you know what the tensioner pulley is? If you want help I can help you too zacharyzoosh at g-mail dot com. Look at the belt in there in front of your engine. Does it look cracked, brittle, or old? GO buy a new belt. They're only $28 for the best one with three year warrantee. If you stick a socket wrench tip into the Tensioner Pully's center hole, and turn it all to the Right, (get a bar on the end of your wrench for extra torque, and you'll see that whole contraption move. Slide the old belt off, remember the belt pattern, and position the new belt. Do the same procedure with the tensioner pulley to get the new belt on. Like the other respondents said: Check all your pulley wheels to make sure they're spinning correctly. Sometimes the tensioner looses tension and the belt spins looser than intended. If the wheels in there have bad bearings than this can cause belt squealing, but I don't think that's what you have if your noise goes away. When it squeals then goes away, that's just a classic case of an old belt. the squealing will stop right when you get a new fresh tight belt on there! Could be a 20 minute and $20 fix if you go for it yourself!!!

10

Its your fan Pulley not the clutch but the pulley itself. Comes with new bracket

10

Why stop my Honda passport 2001 in a lightstop