I have a 1994 honda civic coupe dx, the new problem with this car is..The former owner messed with the ac and now the whole ac system is shot. What I want to know is - can I replace it? & What parts??

45

Asked by May 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM about the 1994 Honda Civic DX

274,695

Sure you can replace it. No clue on what parts as I don't know what you mean by messed with it. Was it totally removed, partial? Your best bet is to accumulate all the correct parts and have a pro look at it and charge the system properly.

Best Answer Mark helpful
45

Well he messed with it meaning he took the tube out.. And the condenser is shot. So I prob would have to put all new parts, I just don't know everything that goes into an air conditioning system.. I'm kinda new in the car area

274,695

Like I said, have a mechanic look it over and get a quote. If you want to save money, have them give you a grocery list of the items you need, hoses, compressor, accumulator, etc and you can source them online, auto parts store or salvage yard. Then you can install them and take it back for a final check, refrigerant charge and leak test. You'll have to call around to get a mechanic that will do that for you, some will want to install their own parts.

274,695

Also try frequenting the Honda Civic forums online. You can find others with the same situation or asked the same questions a lot of time. You can also find some good DIY's related to your car as well. HTH's....http://www.clubcivic.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18

45

I took it to a mechanic and he said - you know you'll never have air conditioning again. But you just said It was possible to have it again, I don't know the parts that go into an air conditioner that's why I asked the question. That's all I wanted to know. It's not about putting it in, it's about what I need. No one seems to know what parts are needed..

355

Lys you are in a very vulnerable spot due to your lack of knowledge and you can be taken advantage of and lose a great deal of money. What you need now cannot be obtained from an Owner's Forum. First of all when you do not know mechanics or are not a DIY never acquired anything someone else tinkered with... if former owner did this moronic thing unsuccessfully WHAT else did he take apart in that car that will soon fall apart?? If you cant live w/out AC dump car and get something that no one screwed with before. There's no gray area to your situation but I advise you to not put in a new system as you'll never get this money back in a million years as when you install it something else will fail you.

45

I think I like your suggestion of getting rid of this car, he messed with a lot of shit, the car needs a new steering rack, inner and outer tire rods, two new axels, I'm about to put it back on Craig's list for less money and say see ya later.

355

Cars like that are cash vampires/wallet termites... as soon as you fix one item you'll have to repair the next and it never ends. Here's my advice if you buy a used/old car never buy from a kid because most likely he has screwed around w/it. Always buy from older people... case in point: Mine is not for sale but I have a gently used 5 speed 2002 Civic LX with 80K, you can eat off of the engine, not one bumper sticker/decal on it, never raced, never in an accident, no dings, scratches or dents, I bought new after I turned in my '00 S2000 that's about 9.6K miles a yr. instead of (12K) I have all receipts in a binder for all Honda Dealer maintenance work, which is guaranteed... no gas monkey/Jiffy Lube crap ever touched this car. I feed it only Valvoline Synthetic Oil at $7.79Qt. and change the trans oil with every oil change, trans and pan have magnetic plugs, the only mods I did was went up plus one from stock size with German Borbett rims & wider Goodyear Assurance from Tire Rack which gave it a good look and handing for about $1K and I had the dealer upgrade the shocks and springs at 75K, I had Honda replace all brake lines and front/rear bearings, new rotors, brake pads,new drums, new shoes, replaced the shifter with a nice carbon fiber knob and new shifter cables about $3K no tears inside everything works drives like a dream never left me on the road and if you want a speeding ticket it'll get you one. You get the idea.. buy always from people who have taken care of their car, gently used them and can prove you they did care for them, stay away from the Frankenstein chopped up crap type. Remember buy from older folks who do not beat up, race, chop up or abuse their cars.