Repair or say goodbye?

Asked by Jul 08, 2009 at 03:11 PM about the 1994 Honda Civic VX Hatchback

I was recently in a wreck and the passenger front end was damaged.  Passenger fender, corner of hood damaged (hood still locks/unlocks), front bumper, light assemblies.  212,000 miles on vehicle, 30plus mpg.  No interior damage to engine compartment and alignment not affected at all.  Insurance totaled vehicle. Repairs est. 2500.00  Ins. will give 1700 for it or if I keep it 1500.

I have maintained the car and it still drives well.

If it were your civic would you repair it?  Thanks

7,325

how much is it going to cost to replace the car? if $1700 doesnt cover it tell the insurance company you want to surrender it to them but you want more money for it first.

75

It depends on the condition of your car, it depends on your interest to whether keep the car or to leave it and it also depends on how much money u have. I would suggest u to exchange it 4 something similar.

75

The car looks like it is in a bad shape. If u have the money ,repair and keep it. The insurance will give only that much. If u r ready to spend the spend 800.

Doubt I could get something similar (used) that is in good condition. New cars considered....Prius (do not like the view out the back and blindspots), Fit, Soul are possibilities. I am still wanting a manual transmission (i know the prius is not) The 1700.00 was a fair offer.

7,325

if youre going that route i would get a nissan cube.

5

If there is any damage to the chassis at all better to replace the car. I faced a similar situation and got the car repaired. The car is not the same at all.

155

From what you posted, it sounds like the structural components were undamaged and you are just talking cosmetic. If you can "fix" the fender, bumper with the money offered, AND the engine has been running well, I would seriously consider keeping it. The other question would be is the car still insurable. Sometimes in these cases, the insurance company is not interested in continuing to insure that car. Good luck.

1,685

it would cost less if you just repair the exterior damage... insurance companies wont compensate small damages because they would not gain the damage value and the interest...it will be break even... now if there is severe damage to the car, they may raise the repair cost and get the excess... thats ho they make money...

1,135

well take off the fender and check and see if the unibody is bent. if the unidbody is bent id say get some money from insurance. if it was my car and it drove straight i would fix it. go to a wrecking yard and get the nicest fenders and hood there for maybe 100-200 bucks and then order new amber corners from andysautosport.com for 14 bucks plus shipping and get a new left head light if it was messed and then bamn its good for well under 500 bucks

1,135

under 300 for that matter