I think my 2000 Ford Expedition is stuck in low gear.....i felt so ething underneath pop and since then it is hard to turn the steering wheel and it feels lime Im pulling a train. Also the 4X4 and Low

Asked by Dec 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM about the 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD

I jave a hard ti e pulling in and out of parking spots, wheel is hard to turn and its making a
low groany grindy sound...when i give it gas it barely goes but when i let off the gas pedal
it jumps down i to first gear suddenly..my 4X4 light and Low Gear light are on and I vant
change my  hi lo or all wheel 2L or any switches

7,010

AAA can take it to the Ford service area at your sealer. The concerns do not sound like you can drive. Many warning lights and electronic issues. sounds like the issues of sensors, and trouble codes must be read to find all its issues. after that, you can decide in order what to fix or what is causing what. A code for one item can lead to symptoms for other issues. The tech can simplify this for you and give priority to powertrain, and steering.

7,010

dealer, sorry. but those issues are capable of putting the trans in the wrong gear, and 4x4 issues are also happening.

7,010

You need motorcraft parts when it comes to replacing 14 year old powertrain parts with the highest quality. Service bulletins that change part usage or procedure may have been issued for your concerns and they can help by getting the right info. and using the code reader and live data. They used an NGS tester when that was new, and it helped define the vehicle's issues.

4,495

You may find it less expensive to find a used transmission and replace yours than try to repair yours. Sounds like all the trouble is transmission. If I were to take a guess, I would guess Dannyl works for a Ford dealer.

7,010

Makes sense, but an accurate diagnosis of the electronics and a cursory examination of the parts may reveal a disconnected part, a bent part, and or damaged wiring or malfunctioning TR From the symptoms. A general overview of the vehicle and a safety inspection may be very enlightening to indicate whether a large powertrain investment in a vehicle that age is recommended. The dealer would be the best trained, skilled, and backed people with the most data, access to updates, and the most experience. Your first $60 would be very well spent to find out the bigger picture ? Or get you a few sensors priced and the inspection sheet to review. when I did work at a Ford dealer we were often asked this, "why did you not give me a full inspection, and tell me what I was investing my money in ?" Just sayin, I can't see that from here.

7,010

Having the steering affected as well as the trans and 4x4 makes me concerned for the front diff., its drive shaft etc. The description of a layman ? Seems like, kinda, maybe, could be ? You need some actual inspecting and verification when defining the general complaint before testing and diagnosing is properly directed. The higher the skill level, the better the money gets used to help you.

My 2001 is doing the same thing most answers have said it's the transfer case motor. Go figure mine is unique because over an hour to replace an that didn't fix the problem. Also with Awd /4x4 it doesn't have an actuator that you can undo like the typical 2wd 4wd! Grr

7,010

"Something went pop underneath, and now it is hard to turn the steering wheel".................reviewing what the complaint was, I question the replacement of the shift motor as the sole correction. It is clear that the shift motor can affect 4wd engagement, but the problem described ? That is symptomatic of sensors indicating wrong gear, or TR sensor inputs and outputs where the powertrain module is concerned. It makes me ask, what powertrain code(s) have tou received, what tests are supposed to follow ? and what were the results of an inspection? are the brake cables dragging ? why replace the shift motor ? what tests did it fail ? since it is priced at over $250. An hour of labor to replace one is not abnormal unless it was misdiagnosed in the first place. I suggest returning to the top of this page and rereading. run the tests in the correct order. Ask the right people to inspect it. Guessing and thowing parts around is the leading cause of ...."Grr "....perhaps. In my humble opinion.

7,010

The guy that suggests a trans replacement without evidence of failure ? I disagree since your controls and or sensors are likely to be reused. Having enough experience in this area tells me that your trans technician will suggest the same thing. It is 14 years old or more. Transmissions are not cheap, and replacing parts without accurate diagnosis is futile investing in a vehicle of that age.

4,495

When I said You may find it less expensive to find a used transmission, it wasn't a troubleshooting statement but, presuming that adequate testing was done and an overhaul was the only answer, then a second hand replacement may be cheaper, IE: save some money.