Car won't start, why.?

60

Asked by Aug 05, 2016 at 10:02 AM about the 2010 Kia Soul 4u

i have a 2010 Kia Soul.  I've been to the dealership 3 times and and they still
can't find the problem.  This morning we are taking it in again.
Problem?  Every now and then I get in the car put key into ignition and it
won't turn over.  It makes an attempt to turn over, I hear a bit of grrrr grrrr but
no starting.  I try again and sometimes nothing and sometimes it starts.  If
nothing again then I wait 10 or 20 minutes and then it will start.  I am so
frustrated becomes the last time it left me stranded after a night shift and the
next day when I got a tow truck it started.  Looking at my records I have it
looked at approximately once a year every June or July.  Why is this
happening and what is it?

55

Is it getting fuel?

55

crank it over and if it wont start turn the key off and put the petal to the floor and try to start it. It could be a sensor.

55

or there is also a antenna coil faulty in some of them and it's an interlock with the key and is a safety feature which could cause the car to start on and off.

13,365

Locate a competent electrical tech, Post the name of this Hyundai and Kia Dealer so people can avoid them too. I see all the guessing, with the factory scan tool (GDS) or new (G-Scan 2) this is minutes worth of diagnostic work to locate the issue exactly! A dealer as this in my area is Blacklisted quickly people aren't so forgiving! come back 3 time heads roll! LOSING. were not talking Shady's corner repair.

140

I have the same problem. My 2014 Kia Soul intermittently will not turn over. It just clicks. I took it to the Jim Sipala's West Chester Kia in PA. I had a brand new battery placed and again it happened the same week. I took it in again. They had it for a week or so and it turned over for them. My care again did not start then it turned over a few hours later. I did not take it to the shop. Last night it left me stranded at work. It clicks. The lights go on. But the car does not start! HELP!

60

Estherdan has had this problem twice. each time we replaced the antenna sensor coil and it was good for about two years inbeteewn coils. Insist with the dealership to just do it. They can!t seem to figure out why this solves the problem. We love our Kia again.

10

My 2014 Soul is leaving me stranded about every other day now, sounds like the same thing as Apollo _1946. Any new news on this? It's been into Kia twice, they can't get it to NOT start! I get somewhere and it won't start!. Antenna coil, huh?

60

All I can say is our car is still doing well after the antenna coil was replaced. It starts every time. We asked for the old coil back and we noticed a slight bend in the sensor coil which could have been the reason why the car would start sometimes and not other times. It seems bizarre that it was a sensor coil but it sure was worth taking the risk at putting a new one in as we were ready to sell the vehicle. I really don't know why Kia is having such a problem with this as I know several people who have had the same troubles and it is about high time they realize it's a common problem.

10

I'm having this same problem in my 2012 Kia Soul. Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes it just doesn't turn over. Thought it was the battery so we replaced the battery. Still happens. Took it in to the dealership (it moved to North Hills, CA - really has gone down hill since bought by Galpin. After 5+ years of great service in Van Nuys, will NOT return to this new site.) As per the code they got, they replaced the camshaft sensor. 3 weeks later, I'm having problems starting the car again, but it's intermittent. Clearly the camshaft sensor didn't fix it. Have to find another tech because I am not going back to Galpin Kia.

60

Guess what, it happened again. I'm fed up, replaced the antenna coil 3 times.. I bought a new car and it is not a Kia as I have a very bad taste in my mouth. Contacted Head office of Kia and they don't give a dam and ignored me. I loved the looks and roominess of the Kia Soul but no longer felt that I could rely on it. I'm glad it's over, I have a different make a feel safe again.

20

Have a 2014 Soul. Intermittently will not start, lights come on , navigation screen has a message about battery drain. Had roadside assistance and they moved shift lever back and forth several times and it started. Took to the dealer (JT's Kia) and they could not replicate the issue. Read where you should jiggle shifter and open/close drivers door to reset theft control; this seemed to work when the car would not start for a couple of weeks; happened at least once a day for two weeks. Then had car towed in when would not start; started at dealer but after service writer tried several times, he got it so it would not start. Relayed that to the mechanic - said technician needed to replicate the issue but could not. When we went back to the dealer, customer before us was telling the writer she had the same issue with another Kia. The result is that the dealer has no idea where to start' we left the car with them and if they can't fix it, we will trade it - not on another Kia! We love the Soul but don't trust the reliability.

10

I bought a 2014 Kia Soul and just encountered the same problem. And the dealership makes you feel like an idiot when they can't duplicate the problem. I think they know it has a problem but they try to act like potato heads when trying to find the problem. Someone is in bed with Kia. With so much focus on internet and phone scams, we forget about the scams that's right under our nose.... Auto maker/Auto repair Scams