Squealling belt noise when a/c is turned on

Asked by Aug 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM about the 1995 Honda Passport 4 Dr LX 4WD SUV

Our 95 Honda Passport makes a terrible squeal noise when the a/c is turned on.  It is worse at idle but won't go away when engine is revved but is a little better.  Had belts changed, same squeal. Any ideas or advice please pass them my way. Repairman said maybe condensor is going out, someone else said maybe the belts too tight or too loose!!

1,355

the pully. take off the belt and start spinning them! you can usually hear un normal bearing noise. I cal lit the idler pully but i dont know accuall name. The one that puts tension on the belt.

1,355

and odnt go back to the repairman.... CONDENSOR?!?!?!?!? thats like me telling you supper man does not wear red underwear. the only tings a condenser do is transfer heat. no moving componentsin that thing

wondering how old the belt is.When you turn your AC on that puts one more strain on the grip of the belt.You may solve your problem by just puting a new belt on.Or just buy your self a can of belt dressing s.Sometimes that will help for a while.

Make sure you are not smelling rubber when you turn on your AC after a couple of minutes.If you are then your compressor could be locking up or locked up.other than that the belt or idler pulluy are about all that can go wrong for a squeal.

245

There is a plate on the front of of the A/C compressor that uses bearings. If the bearings are bad it will squeal. The plate is not always engaged so it will squeal only when it is in use. This all asumes that your A/C system resembles that of domestic brands though so I can't say for sure that it is true for a honda.

30

I agree with Kevin. This could be a compressor problem. I have a 1998 Honda Passport. When I turn the A/C on the compressor starts making a grinding noise. At idle, it makes a weird noise that sounds like a R/C car motor.

10

Have the same problem. Maybe the A/C clutch is not engaging so that might need to be changed

10

Can you remove plate thats in front of ac compressor?

I am working on 97 passport and i changed the pulley belts etc still making noise so tomorrow I will change the AC compress plate and update u guys to see if that's my problem