1995 honda passport only starts when it wants. Now won't start at all

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 06:50 PM about the 1995 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

I have been having issues with my 1995 honda passport starting. It would usually start
but every 10th time or so it wouldn't. I'd wait anywhere between a few minutes to an hour
and try again and it would start just fine. But now my car won't start at all. It cranks just
won't turn over.  I've checked the fuel pump, filter. Fuel lines and relays. I've taken coils
and ignition module to get tested. And they all worked just fine. I'm assuming it's an
electrical problem. Any one have ideas or experiences w this type of problem.. Any help
would be appreciated.

36,715

You mean it clicks but the engine isn't turning over. Is your starter new? If not, have someone hold the key to the start position. Locate the starter and rap on it with a hammer as they hold the key. If the starter suddenly engages, it's time for a new one. If starter is new, put a volt meter on your battery with the engine off. If less than 11.5 volts, replace the battery.

35

You say its turning over and only starts when it wants. Will it be fine for a day then act up again? Is it getting worse or more often? Sounds like the crank Position Sensor. Have that checked.

Thanks for the replys. The starter was checked and is ok. Imma check the crank position sensor. Never checked one before. Any info on checking it would be appreciated..

10

Ecm

1995 honda passport dies off, it's dieing off frequent now. it turns over but wont start or dies off while driving. will wait awhile then starts up again. does any one know why?

36,715

Sounds like you have a fuel pump on it's way out. The next time it quits, Try placing your ear to the fill hole and have someone turn the key. You should hear the fuel pump hum. If no hum, you have an intermittent fuel pump. You can also press a large screw driver to the bottom of your tank and press your ear against the plastic handle. Have someone turn the key If no hum, it's a bad fuel pump.