Signs of Blown Head Gasket, but car doesn't over heat. Why?

280

Asked by Jan 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM about the 1995 Honda Civic LX

I ve got a 95 civic. Drove 1000 miles with the signs of a blown head gasket, white exhaust,
bubbling water tank and radiator, losing anti freeze, but my car still runs. If and when the
temp gauge does say its overheating, the engine its self doesn't actually get hot, meaning
i can touch it without burning my self, and only the cooling system smokes. So if it can
run that long, but still have signs of gasket being blown, what could be the issue?

280

also smoke leaks out of the radiator/water tank caps even when screwed on tightly. and by the way I drove the car 1000 mi in 2 days, but the problem was worse the second 500 mi. for example, the first 500 mi only the bubbling and loss of antifreeze occurred, second day the white exhaust and radiator smoke began. Always pulled over when it would "overheat." put in more antifreeze and it would solve the problem. but like i said it doesn't actually seem like the engine gets hot though. and also the heating goes in and out

122,515

White smoke from exhaust typically indicates blown head gasket. Check oil color. If it looks like a milkshake instead of like motor oil the head gasket is blown. Also check coolant color. Does it look oily? Remove spark plugs and do a pressure test on the coolant system. Some auto parts will loan you the tester. If pressure drops while doing this test check in spark plug holes for coolant. If coolant is present on top of piston then the head gasket is blown. Hope this helps.

280

thanks, just tested oil and it looked like normal color. dark black/brown, do notice a little oil in coolant. also the radiator takes a lot of liquid before its full

122,515

Ok I advise to do the pressure test on the coolant system. I feel that you will find coolant getting in on top of the pistons.

22,095

It is pushing compression /oil into the antifreeze. Some will go in the oil and out the exhaust and others oil and compression out the overflow. It will gradually get worse and be in the oil.

280

what is causing this tuff4x4? and whats the fix. Im goin to get it checked out monday, but im very impatient and what to find out as much as I can. Thanks

280

i do have a quart to much oil. thanks to walmart when i got an oil change, can that cause this problem?

22,095

It is the beginning of a blown head gasket. Don't drive it any more than you have to.

280

dont want to pay for new head gasket, was planning to drive for 2-4 weeks then sell it. any alternatives. i know that gasket sealer is a far fetched option but any opinions on it. it seems like a scam

122,515

I don't advise using any "fix in a can" products. These only hide the real problems and will cost more in the long run with other items getting stopped up. Fix it right the first time. You say you planning to sell it. Now would you want to buy a vehicle where someone had used this stuff in it? I know that's not the answer you were looking for but that's just how I feel about these products. Shady used car dealerships use them all the time and the unsuspecting customer gets screwed. IMO anyways

22,095

Yes you can use the head gasket repair in a can. But 90% of them don't work and as dandyoun said would you want to buy this without knowing about it? Try it, be honest and tell the buyer the problem when you sell it.

200

Well my 1998 Honda civic ex is over heating and I change thermostat and the hose the radiator to the tank for the Antifreeze...

70

The reservoir was bubbling and the radiator was shooting water up any time I had open the radiator cap and had the car running. Also steam would be coming from inside the radiator.

80

I had a full service 3 months ago. Yesterday my CRV 99 was running hot. When we checked the engine the radiator was completely dry and the oil was completely dry. How could that be after having the car just serviced?

50

I have a 1996 honda civic the kid said it needs an o2 sensor but theirs oil leaking out the exaust

50

Anyone tell me what that means??

20

many times in hondas you will not notice a change in the oil color due to the fact that there is a back up when the gasket blows.. but some of the signs i experienced was loss of coolant, and the overheating, along with the bubbles in the radiator.

I have a 2015 Honda Civic and I gave the car to my 29 year old son and he drove the vehicle a whole month on a doughnut along with not checking the oil. Once I checked it the information menu stated that it was -1207 miles. How long would it take before the motor goes up driving it in that condition.