95 Honda accord ex wont turn over

10

Asked by Nov 15, 2015 at 01:46 PM about the 1995 Honda Accord EX Wagon

So i dont know shit about cars so ill try to
give as much info as possible. I have a 95
honda accord ex, it has been running fine
but a week or two ago i noticed it needed an
oil change bad. I just got an appointment
scheduled for an oil change tomorrow, but
now it wont even start. It wont turn over but
the headlights come on and we tried
jumping it but nothing, so its not the battery.
I put in some oil, transmission fluid, and
antifreeze to see if any of that had an
effect. Any suggestions on what could be
tha issue?

20,555

I had a 1995 Honda Accord EX station wagon. Well, it sounds like it could be the starter or the ignition switch. But, you said that you jumped it, and it didn't start? I replaced the computer in my car and the electronic ignition. Have the codes run, do you have an independent mechanic? And, how many miles on this car. I sold mine last year, with 150,000 miles for $3,000. The automatic transmission in these cars are very good. I think with proper care you can easily go 200,000 to 250,000 miles. Only reason I sold my car was it was too low to the ground to tow my teardrop trailer.

10

It has 250 miles on it, just bought tha car a month ago due to needing an emergency car until tax season comes. Not sure how they kept up tha maintenance on it but it was about due for an oil change when i bought it i just didnt have the time or money. Im hoping maybe its the starter. Other than the lights and the radio and stuff it does absolutelt nothing. No click or anything.

10

I meant 250k miles

20,555

How much did you pay for this car? Is the transmission still shifting crisply? You should be able to feel the shifts from each gear.

10

I only paid 1000 and it still shifts. I heard a click but thats it. When i turn it on the oil light and the battery light comes on.

20,555

OK, well, they must have done a certain level of maintenance, after all, it has made it to 250,000 miles. Really depends on your tempermant for dealing with an older car and inherent problems that arise from time to time. I keep my cars a long time, why? It saves a lot of money. Look at it this way, no matter how much money you spend on actual repairs, and I don't mean maintenance, which all cars require, you probably won't spend more than $1,500 on average per year, it's an average, some more , some less. In the 15 years or so, that I drove my car without any car payments of $400 per month, that saved a lot of money. The average car payment is $400 per month for 60 months. That's almost $5,000 per year, you won't see that kind of cost every year no matter what goes wrong. So, the least expensive option is to fix the car and the 1995 Honda Accord EX was a great car, reviews from Motor Trend and Car and Driver as car of the year. The VTEC engine in your car was a trailblazer back in 1995 and now that engine design is almost universally used by every car manufacturer. I think that your oil and battery light might be a short or electrical problem, could be minor. Still think it's either the starter or the electronic ignition, yes, there are some expensive parts on your car, but, again pales in comparison to car payments and the sales tax on a new car could be more than what you would pay for the repairs. Good luck.

20,555

Can you post a picture of your car? Is the interior as clean as the exterior?

20,555

Your 1995 Honda was better built than any of the Honda Accord cars from late 90s to 2008 being one the worst models ever. See attachment, picture.

10

I can when i am home. The interior is shit, stains everywhere. The exterior is fine though.