1995 Honda Accord vibrates at 70 mph

Asked by Mar 09, 2015 at 06:42 PM about the 1995 Honda Accord LX

Going on interstate at 70 mph and vibration starts bad without braking. Had the tires
balanced and replaced tires. No luck..

More than likely it is one or both wheel bearings going bad, or one of the axle cv joints wearing out. It could also me a defective steel belt inside one of the tires, and lastly it could be that if the tread design on the tires are a directional tread, they have mounted the tires backwards on the wheels. I have seen this occur more than you could imagine! Good luck, let me know.

Very helpful. Don't have the tools to complete this. Any idea what a shop would charge to change the wheel bearings and maybe the axle cv joints?

I really couldn't say since I do not work in the industry. I am third generation mechanic, and really only work on my own vehicles(5 of them) and other relatives. I get so mad at the outrageous prices charged these days by shops, for both labor AND the mark up on parts. I do all my own work, both minor and major, including engine rebuilding and transmission swap outs, then go to a shop only for the jobs I cannot do because of lack of equipment or tools. My best guess in the current market would be between $400 to $900 or more, low end being bearings and high end being the axles and bearings, and that would include the alignment check & adjustment after the repairs, depending on your location. These are best guest estimates for the Danbury CT/Westchester County NY areas. My cost would be more like $250 for parts then about $75 for an alignment afterwards. I suggest you do a google search for a front end specialist shop in your area, or try a Firestone tire dealership.

I also left out that it could also be a tie-rod end or control arm ball joint causing it as well. You can get it narrowed down very quickly with a front end inspection at a reputable tire dealership like Firestone for example, and then they can give you an exact cost, & if you do the work, the diagnostic charge would count in the repair price.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I can solve all your problems for free drive 60 mph instead