Rear lights dead only brakes light works

20

Asked by Aug 23, 2012 at 07:19 PM about the 1996 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

I have 1996 Honda passport the  rear lights are not working only brake lights I checked the fuse box and after I
replace the fuse it blows up right away. I had the shop take a look at it they couldn't figure it out.i was told it has the
ground issue. I'm trying to figure it out how I can fix it? Thank you!

18,785

ground issue isnt the right word. Blowing fuses means there is a short to ground somewhere in the circuit. Start simple and check all bulbs. Then find someone who knows how to troubleshoot electrical systems

20

I understand,I will start there. Where would I typically find the location of the circuit?

18,785

the part of the circuit that will have the problem is from the switch to the light sockets for your tail lights. Problem areas are any connections, at the sockets, where parts meet. Near any collision area. If a body panel or trim panel has been taken off recently start there.