My 96 Honda Passport EX 4x4

Asked by Mar 08, 2007 at 09:13 PM about the 1996 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

I am having trouble starting my 96 passport some of the time, not all of the time, and sometimes the car just dies while I am driving it. But the power will remain on (cd player and such). It also sometimes shifts hard. I took it in to a Honda dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. People have been telling me that it may be the fuel pump, if so, would it have these symptoms? And why couldn't the Honda people diagnose the problem?

23,760

Hi Chubby Kitten! The fuel pump or fuel filter could be part of the reason here but that wouldn't just show up as a no-start situation. It would also have the car bucking and sputtering a bit while driving, especially if it's a filter issue. It sounds more like an electrical issue. You interior power (radio etc.) is a separate system than your ignition system. That might answer your second question about why a dealer couldn't diagnose it. Intermittent electrical problems can be elusive. Here's a no-start troubleshooting guide for the next time it won't start. Maybe you can narrow the questionable issues down for your dealer or mechanic. Good luck!

Best Answer Mark helpful

The Honda dealer couldnt diagnose the problem because at the time there was no problem.When a fuel pump is pumping there is no problem to find.I went through the same thing.My honda left me stranded four or five time and it would crank back up after a while.The pump finally went out and it did the same thing except it didnt re-start later.I had it towed in and it was the fuel pump.you better change it before it goes out and dont ever pump again.

It is the fuel pump.I just went through the same thing and I thought there was no way it could be the fuel pump.I would be driving and it would be like some one just cut the switch off.I also would get in it to leave and it would not even try to start.I finally just took a chance and put a fuel filter on it and the thing run fine when i started it up about two hours later it went dead on me no spit no sputter no jerking,It just quit.So I took another chance and put a fuel PUMP on it .That was a year ago and no problems sense then.

90

My passport has the same problem with shutting off while I am driving and not cranking back up right away. We have changed the fuel pump and it still happens. Any suggestions to help me out?

20

Ok I have a 95 Honda passport and am having a similar issue. Not all the time, but often I go to start the truck and it won't start. It turns over and everything, so I know it's not the starter. I can hear the fuel pump kicking on, so I don't believe it's that. I turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to kick in, and then try to start it. And it won't. The only way I can get it to start is to spray some starting fluid in it. I def cannot afford to take it to a dealer to have it looked at, or even a regular mechanic....any ideas?

10

mine had similar problems and turned out to be the transmission control switch its telling the engine that you arent in park so it wont let you start it again waiting some time allows the system to reset and will read normal again have your alternater checked to it is waht blow my control switch

10

Sorry its an ignition control switch not a trasmission control switch