clicking noiseon my 96 honda civic

Asked by Dec 29, 2016 at 09:15 PM about the 1996 Honda Civic EX

my car is making a clicking noise when i turn corners. but when i have the
clutch pushed in it doesnt click what could this be?

100,475

C/V Joints, look at the drive axles and see if the boots are blown, if they are then the Joints will need replacements if the boots are not blown then you might be able to get by with just a good cleaning a repacking.

18,685

Repacking is a waste of time, Replace both the front C/V axle's right & left sides even if only one side is clicking.

100,475

I wouldn't say that it's a waste of time, my old Acura was clicking but he boots weren't blown so I cleaned them out repacked them with C/V joint grease, reattached the boots and off she went no more clicking. But if the boots are blown then I very much agree with replacing the joints.

18,685

For people who take their cars to a shop for repairs. The labor to repack is the same as replacement labor. Depending on the level of damage already done or not done to the c/v joint while it is confirmed to be clicking, repacking may or may not add any life to the c/v. If the person facing this issue has plenty of time and now how with tools in hand to c/v in hand to back in car, repacking first verses new parts may work for a little bit but may not too. If you are paying someone else then know that the labor to repack is the same labor to replace. If it has started to click it is at this time creating damage. The boot keeps the grease from going all over the place while operating so if it is damaged it allows road dirt ect to get into the joint and cause it to go out faster and repacking is not advised unless it is damaged and the boot replaced soon after with a new one. I will leave you with a huge tip, also have your front hub/wheel bearings replaces too as to do the axles is only one step away from pulling the knuckle off to have them pressed (old) out and (new) in. The axle passes threw the knuckle which houses the bearing too so save some time and money and get them replaced now.

18,685

It is possible to pull the boot off and apply new grease to the joint and put on a universal boot but it is not the same as pulling out to repack it. I have done this to one of my own that I tore the boot on and 6 months later I was replacing that axle and then the other side went to clicking a year later which had no damage to the boot, but the lash on the new one was less then the other which was only three years old the about 8 months later my bearing started to roar and I had pull it all back apart, I did not learn my lesson and did the axles only on a Honda CRX 5 years later and with in a year I was replacing hub bearings too so since then I have never just replaced boots and repacked or just did axles without putting in new bearings too. In my book repacking just means that you will be putting in axles in a few months.