my Civic recently got soaked in waist-high flood. but took out the ECU. there were no other problems after repair, but my transmission is not working properly.

1,555

Asked by Aug 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM about the 1996 Honda Civic DX

my Civic recently got soaked in waist-high flood. but took out the ECU. there were no other problems after repair, but my
transmission is not working properly. Its a PGM 5-speed AT and the 4th and 5th gear does not engage even if i floor it to the rev
limit. I put in new AT fluid but it still does not change to 4th and 5th. My mechanic told me that i should wait for at least a week for
the gears to "restore" itself, he also told me that the computer should restart after being pulled out and then installed again but in
a few days? should i still do road tests and keep driving and wait for the transmission to heat up and work properly? or should i
drain the atf and check my gears?

217,895

Wow, with that much water, you'll need to air and dry out the car. The reason he said a couple days is for that fact, to dry out. For the transmission, did you do a flush or just a change? You might still have water in the trans, and I'd replace/flush the fluid again. If that doesn't work, you'll have to repair/rebuild the trans.

1,555

i flushed the whole transmission system out. also did it to my engine block. well, there was a slight change but it's still hard to engage to 4th gear without flooring it. there's also a slight over- rev when im on cruising speed. thank god my transmission gears and crank are still in good shape.i will wait for a few days then.

12,315

With that flush did you change filter? Time is critical to get water out. If the water sits long enough you will start to have corrosion issues in tranny and every electrical connection. I would drive the car this will dry things out quicker and not give the water a chance to corrode things inside the tranny. After driving check the tranny dip stick right after shut down and look for any traces of moisture.

16,915

Is it sliggish to take off from a start? and when you do do the RPM's climb but you dont move fast?

1,555

my rpm and acceleration is okay but when the rpm hits the speed its supposed to change, it does not work. i also changed the filter and the oil.

1,555

i dont know if you may call it moisture but before i drained my atf i saw some residue and bubbles on the dipstick. i cant figure it out because my gears seem okay and spinning.

12,315

Next step is to check your PCM ( power train control module). Look for loose or corroded connections to it.

1,555

where do i find it?

My Transmission not changing properly I drain the oil and I see sign of smudge do I need to flush or I need to repair it,