The car is chugging

455

Asked by Nov 12, 2008 at 03:51 PM about the 1996 Honda Civic DX

Hey there guys. My teacher Jennifer Rosewell asked me to ask you guys about her car. Well, the problem started
when it was a cold morning and her car was chugging. So she depressed the accelerator pedal but nothing
happened. She put it in neutral and pressed the gas pedal and it revved a bit. She put it back in drive and it was
just chugging  along. Mrs. Rosewell got the oil changed, replaced the oil filter, put in a new air filter, and got
new spark plugs but it still chugging. She is wondering if it is the Oxygen Sensor but I think it could be the
Transmission. Do you guys know what's wrong with her car?

Sincerely
       Josh Chilcott

265

This could be a number of things. If you can get any more information from ur teacher that would be best. I had a similar problem with a 240. The distributor and spark plug wires are the first place to start. Make sure nothing has been knocked loose and that everything is firmly secured. The other thing is if it is really cold the engine might run rough because of the auto choking mechanism. My question is weather she has this problem after the car has warmed up? Another thing to consider is if it is in fact the O2 sensor, the 96 civic is OBO II meaning there will be a an oxygen sensor before and after the catalytic converter( the plumped up tube in the center of the vehicle.) The primary O2 sensor sends all of the major information to the car computer so it can make adjustments. The secondary only tells the computer the converter is working. The primary is the one to replace. Hope that helps.

2,280

Chris gave you some very good information. I agree, it could be the automatic choke malfunctioning. Does she pump the gas before starting the car? (This engages the choke when it may not be needed?) Is she in a cold environment? (Unless it fairly cold, below 40 degrees, the choke is likely not needed.) Another concern, is the check engine light illuminated? If so, you need to see what the code is. It could be an emissions problem...likely a cat converter issue. How many miles are on the vehicle? To be more accurate, we really need more information.

185

I agree with chris also, Also does it have a sulfer smell like rotten eggs. If so it could be the catalytic converter and in my experience the check engine light won't always come on. Good luck, Vik

2,280

Rotton eggs smell also indicated a bad battery. Not one of the symptoms. And I asked "if" the light was on?

455

Thank you all so much for the help. Jennifer Rosewell appreciates the information provided. i will get some more info on the car. what I meant by chugging was that the car was jumpy and wouldn't accelerate. she told me that it runs fine when warm and she doesn't have a rotten egg smell in her car.

455

I'm sorry to say that is all the info I got on me. Ontario can be a cold place but very, very rarely it will be -40c. Thank you very much for the information.

455

Thank you so much for the information on her car. Mrs. Rosewell appreciates the help. I don't think her car chugs when it's warmed up but I'll ask her. Thanks a billion.

2,280

Sounds like a malfunctioning choke mechanism.