I have no rear lights on 96 honda accord? It is not a fuse

Joanne Sanchez

Asked by Apr 18, 2012 at 07:23 PM about the 1996 Honda Accord LX V6

I have no rear Lights.  I have tested all fuses, I am trying how to figure out how to check the main lighting fuse under the hood. do I use a multi meter? I am a determined female who  is frustrated not be able to drive safely at night.

I like your attitude....... Yes to test a fuse use a multi-meter on the ohms setting. When you put the leads on the fuse the needle should move to 0 ohms (full scale deflection) or if a digital meter should be 0 as well. You can check the bulbs in this same manner. Also check the socket that the bulbs plug into for corrosion. If your front marker lights are working and you did all the above checks you most likely have a bad wire or wire connection. You can trace the wires from the tail-lights and find a connector to check as well.

Mike Zaba

Dont use the multi meter in the ohm setting if there is power in the circuit or you risk blowing the fuse in the meter. If using the ohm setting remove fuse before testing.

I should have mentioned that .......thanx

Joanne Sanchez

Hello , I thank you Both, Az6c62bf & Mike ! I will take a look tomorrow and let you all know. It is odd to me that this is happening, very randome at first, but now, no rear lights. I almost forgot the licence plate light is out too! I struggled to test those bulbs& the are both fine. I sware It might be a little grimmlen! just trying to test me. I will not allow defeat. I wander? The past owner,had towed my car behind a modular home, Someone told me there was a special wiring system for just that purpose. I owned the car since 05, Could such a thing like that be causing me this probem All these years later? Also, Has anyone purchased from the dealership the car manual just for specific Honda? If Anyone ? Curiouse, if you found it to be More helpful that a chiltons auto manual? Thanks again,for the helpful advise. Joanne S

That is more than likely your issue. They installed a special wiring harness to plug into the tow vehicle. Those connections are most likely corroded. If they used the proper wire harness you should be able to take it out and plug the original wires back together and be good to go.

The specific Honda manual will be better. You will pay $80-$100 for it, but it will have only information specific to your car.

Joanne Sanchez

HI aztec626bf, I do so appreciate your help on both issues. Also , the info about the specific car manual for my car. It was ordered & should be here any day. From the dealership it is 50+ tax. My dear Neighber, is the one that has been helping me fiqure this out.He's 84 yrs,but smart & very active in helping me resolve this issue. I'll tell the truth, I was becombing impatient . I don't like it when I am must be home,befor dark. Silly, I know! I am grateful for your help & any & all that has been there for me. Thanks, again. I will let you know ASAP when this is resolved. Joanne