Engine light still on

Asked by May 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM about the 1996 Honda Accord EX

Cleaned out all passages of egr valve circuit and replaced the egr valve and
checked the egr solenoid and the same code engine light still comes on.

2,785

Have you cleared the codes from the memory after doing the repairs, and then driven the car for awhile so it can relearn?

Yes I have, I have pulled out the number 39 (7.5 amp fuse) and then re-installed it couple minutes later. The car runs good for 10 minutes then the engine light comes back on then the car gets a little sluggish when accelerating.

2,785

What are the code number(s), and how are you reading them, by actual code reader or by blinks of the check engine light? If you are using a reader, can you give me the brand and model number please?

I took it to Auto Zone to read the code. It is a Nova brand, model no. 3030F. Error code is a P1491 EGR valve lift sensor insufficient flow detected. I cleaned the manifold passages that were plugged and installed new EGR valve, tested the egr solenoid and it clicked when applying power to it. Cleared the code by pulling out the fuse and in 10 minutes of running the car the engine light comes back on.

2,785

OK, as far as I can tell, that code is strictly for the EGR "lift" sensor. It could just be that the replacement valve you bought, is defective. It would not be the first part either brand new OR rebuilt, that is defective. However, you should check a few other things first, before attempting to return the valve for an exchange. When you "tested" the EGR solenoid, were you holding the valve in your hand to observe if the Pintle raised and lowered ? Here are 2 very helpful links if you have not already seen them: http://www.autocodes.com/p1491_honda.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didHBuYFy7U Did you remove the whole Upper Intake Plenum before you tried to clean the passages, or did you do it on the vehicle? It needs to be done OFF the car because of the twists in the passages, and there is also a Service Bulletin about this very problem which is a very common one on the V6 engines. You can purchase the kits either online or from Honda for this fix. If you need more info or help, click on my profile and send me a private message with your email address and I can give you more help without clogging up this thread.