What engines fit my 07 impreza SE?

10

Asked by Jan 12, 2016 at 09:25 PM about the 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i SE Wagon

I have rod knock in my 07 impreza wagon. I just
got a quote from a reputable backyard mechanic
for $1855 minimum assuming my rods and crank
are in good shape. However, I've found an 02 2.5rs
with a blown clutch and no brakes for $400. Will
it's engine fit?

5,050

The '07 sports the nice variable-valve cam (started in '06), so I wouldn't go backwards before then. Note that with clean oil and NEVER driving above 5k (easy in a Subie) you MAY be able to drive YEARS with light rod rapping. I'd suggest that you take your chances, then toss the '07 when it's older. If it raps at idle you may need a motor soon, but if it only knocks around at higher revs just keep its innards wet and cool and you may be quite lucky. Note that clean used '06-'09 2.5i resell for mid-teens; when needed try to find one with new HGs already. But your relatively thirsty Imp 2.5i is getting old in the tooth. My daughters in Chicago each have an '06 and '09 from me, but if the '06 "wants" $2k for a motor or tranny it'll get donated to charity. Fun, safe, solid, but getting eaten by rust and Subie's cost-cutting on parts.

10

Thanks for quick response. I just purchased the car and she blamed the loud engine and tic on the flex pipe and muffler being gone. The knock is present at idle but less noticeable in mid range, I could rebuild for $1855 labour included provided that my crank and rods are in good shape. I paid $2800 for the car with 195,000 KM or about 120,000 miles do you think this rebuild would be worth it? Sense the 02 is out the picture.

5,050

Change oil and filter, upgrade to iridiums, change trans fluid, air filter. Drive it until it blows up. Then chase a used motor, installed for $2k only if ever needed. I would NEVER rebuild a knocking Subie motor!

10

A friend of mine just told me that he knows this girl and the car and that she's known about the motor going for quite some time. She neglected to tell me when I asked is anything wrong with the car, she also forgot to sign "as is where is" on the bI'll of sale. Do you think I have grounds to win a small claims case?

5,050

Depends upon your State laws. In Mass yes, small claims assumes a use and function warranty under Chap 90 for about a month in a non-dealer sale. But in NH the gun-toters don't like that kind of consumer protection. So check with your state's consumer regs. There may be time and price clauses, too. In MA only under $700 can be "as is"...or a "parts car" in a retail transaction.

10

Went with a rebuild after. I got 50 kms and the check engine light came on. My reader says all 4 cylinders are misfiring and it sometimes shakes at idle. It drives perfectly but when it does shake it's at 500 rpm and it's felt thru the entire car have you got any ideas what it might be? Obviously all 4 cylinders couldn't be misfiring If it still starts and drives

5,050

Hmmm. I would have suspected a timing belt phase error on rebuild, but it usually shows up immediately. There's a chance that the ignition coil shorted out, but if so you shouldn't have clean mid-RPM running. Check throttle body cleanliness as it probably wasn't spray-cleaned, which is required for a smooth idle (650rpm). I suppose there's a chance that ALL spark plugs are the wrong heat range or ALL loose, but c'mon...that would REALLY get me worried, eh?! As well, I hope your ignition wires aren't original (2005-6 production). But all FOUR misfiring. I'd have to see it to proceed....