transfer case

Asked by Dec 15, 2009 at 06:18 PM about the 1997 Honda Passport 4 Dr LX 4WD SUV

I have a 1997 honda passport.I put it into four wheel drive and the fwd does not work.it will go into the high and low gear with the shifter but front wheels will not pull and the 4x4 light on the dash does not come on.what could be wrong?

do you have locking hubs?

i frogot its a little shit. it could be vacuum, eltrical, or jammed in 2 wheel drive. look at the case and have a friend move the shifter while the suv is running.

no it doesnt.I can put it in all three gears 4H,4l,and2H.but the 4x4 indicator light wont come on and while it was running in four wheel drive I looked under it while it was setting there spinning in the yard and the front spindals are not turning.

IT WILL GO IN ALL GEARS BUT THE 4X4 INDICATOR LIGHT WILL NOT COME ON AND THE FRONT SPINDALS WILL NOT TURN.i CAN PUT IT IN 4l and you can sure tell it is in 4L.So I know the shifter inside is ok and it is going in the right gear.The 4x4 just isnt engaging

get all 4 wheels in the air in 4 wheel drive. turn either front wheel. if the rear wheels dont turn with the fronts, then its either the front gears in the case or the front axle. im just wondering, is the main drive in the front or in the back?

i had a similar thing to my eagle. it was jammed 2 wheel drive. i was able to get another t-case for $50. its now waiting to go in.

if it was jammed in 2H would I still be able to go to 4L cause I can it will gear down so low it will snatch a knot in your neck.

BY THE WAY I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ABOUT 4X4 BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW IF IT HAS LOCKING HBS OR NOT IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH IT.AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT A FOURWHELL DRIVE HAS ONE AXLE IN THE BACK AND TWO SMALL ONES IN THE FRONT.i NEED AN ANSWER FROM SOMEONE SMARTER THAN ME.

cAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A RELAY OR FUSE THAT ENGAGES THE TRANSFERCASE WHEN YOU SHIFT INTO 4X4 MODE.tHE 4X4 LIGHT WONT EVEN COME ON WHEN i SHIFT INTO 4WD.aNY RESPONSE HELPFUL.tHANK YOU