My wife's passport passenger brake light isn't working at all even after I replaced fuses n the bulb w the 1157 that everywhere says it takes n yet still not working. How can I fix it?

Asked by Jun 14, 2015 at 01:50 AM about the 1997 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

All wiring n mounts look fine
also. I'm confused.

22,310

You will have to remove light cover from vehicle so that you can get to the wires going to light sockets. Use test light to see if power is going to that socket or it could be just a bad ground or light socket may have to be replaced. Also try moving wires around while someone is pushing brake pedal if starts working then you know you have a bad light socket. Look inside were light bulb goes to make sure it's not corroded and points of contact to bulb are good.

I haven't tried the wiggle while brake pushed yet but I did pull housing n all looked fine even behind bulb connections anything else if this fails n where does ground ground at etc? Thanks for your help

22,310

Does your tail lights and brake lights work from that one bulb ?

22,310

The ground wire is one of the wires going to socket. Have no idea which wire is ground on your vehicle because some auto makers use different color for ground but most grounds is the black wire.

Ok I figured that was the case but wasn't sure where it went exactly from there was hoping not to have to chase it throughout the whole suv. Just hit the end n use old to pull new through if replacement needed. thanks for your help

22,310

To test with test light to see if you have a good ground take clip end of light and put on positive power of wire then touch other end of light to wire and it will light up if ground is good.

I gad the exact same problem with my passport. Check the contacts I the housing. One of mine was worn down and I simply applied some Sauter to it and it works like a champ. Been 8 months now