my ac pump pully froze up so I cut belt now need a shorter belt that goes from main pully to the altinator what size do I need

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 07:52 AM about the 1997 Honda Accord EX

If you are not interested in fixing the A/C, don't want to spend the money, an idler replacement for the compressor is much better than a shorter belt. This is not the exact one for you car but looks very much like this

You might get lucky and have a belt size available, like if the car came without a/c. If not, Use the old belt and have someone hold one end on a pully you take the rest and follow the belt diagram around all the other pullies minus the ac compressor. Mark the belt where the two meet up now. Measure how long that is from the end your friend was holding to your mark and tell an auto parts store the length. They should be able to help you.

Or what FordNut said. Good morning, FordNut! You're up early.

Too early

If you use a shorter belt, I did my best to draw a straight line, but I'm not good at drawing with a mouse. The red will be the new routing, and it looks awfully close to A/C compressor. click for full screen

Loos like even with an idler, you still need shorter belt. Blue circle is idler, and red the belt. The pulley on the compressor is big, to give it a slower turn but more torque on it. Maybe you should just do what TransAm77 says...unless the belt actually is in the path of the compressor pulley, and you can find out with a string from crank pulley to alternator

Yea I have to work today so I had to be up early and I'm 2 hours ahead of you. Way to early, LOL. You are right it would be really close to the ac pulley but still worth a try. Might even be able to remove the pulley and clutch from the compressor.

Good morning...I woke up at 4AM..I hate when that happens, 300 channels and nothing on TV so I went here

I never have that problem, I'm up late every night. My problem is getting up early, LOL. Yup nothing on TV. We turned DirecTV off a few months ago. Got Netflix and Hulu.

So did it work BC I am looking at the same problem right now !!/?