how to change rear cv axle

Asked by Dec 18, 2015 at 07:00 PM about the 1987 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon

removed 2 pins,  drum, nut, pulled arm but still can't get axle of rear end

6,765

If it's the first time for the car Ive heard that they can be difficult to give it up.

5,910

Do you just need a boot? If so, use a split one. If not get a sledge hammer.

It was ran to long on bad wheel bearing and it is welded to the shaft I removed two pins in cv axle and drum and suspension arm but can't drive cv axle off rear axle why? are they to come off?

6,765

The only ones I've removed were either so bad that the sledge hammer or replace everything were my options.

are you talking the whole rea rend I used 2# hammer till I needed a nap, just can't get cv axle off rear end. I love the old hi-lo works great up here in the snow 12" today I want my Subaru back!!!

5,910

Yeah...it may be easier to just buy an old rear spindle and axle loose. Sounds like yours is frozen to the bearing, which is PRESSED IN, requiring a press to separate. 1987, eh? We don't even see 1997's around here anymore. hell, all the '01-'04s are rusting apsrt too!

6,765

Dosen't that have the big roll pin on the inboard side that is recessed down into the halfshaft requiring a 5/16 punch? other than that figgure out a way to pry on the axle with multiple prybars or some kind of wide pickle fork type thing to get it out. And a bigger hammer I've the advantage of a lift and an extra set of hands, without those and a much bigger hammer I wish you good luck.

yes it actually had two roll pins one by rear end another by the backing plate both are out. Can't get off rear end. More help would be nice.