Forester using oil

10

Asked by Dec 26, 2015 at 01:33 AM about the 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XS

Forester 2.5 XS 2007, big end bearing kicked out due to lack of oil,
damaged crank etc... Engine largely overhauled, new pistons, rings, crank,
bearings.....Original question, why i had no oil as there was no leak and i
was not blowing smoke, and now after the overhaul, I have the same
problem. I am replacing oil at the rate of 1lt per 10 days! And before it
happened no oil light, engine light or warning, and the oil was EMPTY??

What could be the reason of excessive oil consumption, with leaks and
rough pistons and rings ruled out? I have stumped a Subaru specialist who
fixed the car....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/subaru-owners-complain-of-engine-failure-high-oil-consumption-092315.html -- "While we believe the oil consumption of our vehicles to be within acceptable levels...." Out of context, granted but still shows their attitude.. Then: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm --Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. -- What I know for a fact is my Toyota consumes ½ quart in 3500 miles between changes

104,205

Another Fosrester with Oil issues...

47,815

This makes me wonder if the crank bearing initially went out due to low oil level and lack of lubrication. Then when it was overhauled were the piston rings installed in the correct orientation, were the cylinder walls honed to the proper cross hatch pattern or is something else causing the issue? A wonder if pistons and bearings were even properly measured when the engine was reassembled. Were the cylinder heads disassembled and checked, were valve guide seals replaced? There are lots of places oil can go if engine is not built properly. Having a manufacturer specialist do the work is usually a good thing. The more problems I read about Subaru the less I like their cars. Please keep us posted as to what you find the resolution to this problem is as it may help someone else. Best of luck with it.

What I don't seem to be able to grasp Bob is if there is no smoke, no leaks, no puddles on driveway, some oil consumption I can understand that will show none these symptoms. But a quart in 1000 miles? Where is it going? If, as you say, and I agree, if the rings were not oriented correctly, 'staggered' where gaps are, honed properly and not grind grind grind with whetstone rotary honer then not put proper rings or even pistons, seems to me it would blow smoke...? I just don't get where all this oil is going

47,815

The catalytic converter will burn lots of the oil up and that probably accounts for minimal or no smoke. A quart in 1000 miles is not much oil per mile. I wonder if some of the #1 and #2 rings were installed upside down or if the cylinder is out of round or has excessive taper.

4,580

Try 10w instead of 0 or 5, and especially avoid synth unless 15w

47,815

To increase the viscosity at operating temperature the number after the "w" need to increase. A 5w30 and 10w30 are the same viscosity at operating temperature. A great read on oil is here at the link......http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

65,575

The 07 Subaru's do not use the 0-20 oil so oil consumption should not be an issue at all. I suspect the rebuild was not the best and maybe the cylinders were not honed properly or were worn and should have been bored out and over sized pistons installed. A quart in a thousand miles won't necessarily show any smoke burning especially with a catalytic converter.

10

Thanks to all your info and input. I should've started off by saying this issue was there before the engine was done. Virtually replacing the capacity of the oil tank of 4.5lt every 2 months just doesn't seem right to me....(we here on the metric system, so not sure how many quarts that is. It consumes about 2lt of oil in 2000km).

4,580

Does sound like your rings are a mess. Maybe piston slap scored a cylinder too. Your consumption is/was too high...unless 0w.

Had this problem with our 2014 forester. Was due to incorrect oil viscosity. Used the genuine subaru 0w- 20 engine oil and it hasn't burnt a drop! Not sure what oil was in it previously, also had non genuine oil filter from purchase 2nd hand. I'm a fully qualified mechanic and have never seen such consumption of oil in a new vehicle like ours had at at first.