I have a broken rear spring on my 2014 Subaru Forester. Should both rear springs be replaced or is it OK to replace just the one?

Asked by Apr 09, 2017 at 12:26 PM about the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Convenience

87,285

It is best to replace both at the same time. or one side of the car would be higher because of the new spring.

120,365

Since you broke one there is a good chance the other one may go too so replace both.

100

Have the same problem with my 2014 Forester with only 58k miles and no history of accidents of overloading. Suspect a defective spring and can't get it repaired for possibly 3 weeks because of a national shortage in the parts. WTF!!!?

120

I am having the same problem with my 2015 forester it will be 6 weeks I will be driving a broken car and Subaru has been no help with the situation! I have a feeling it is a bigger problem that won’t admit to

80

I have 2 broken rear coil springs on my 2014 Forester with under 25000 miles. I'm the original owner. Is this common, or an unannounced recall? The dealer blamed age and "the elements" (in Illinois we salt the roads in winter). He insisted I take a free loaner while he orders parts in "about a week".

100

Dealer replaced the broken spring and has 4 more Foresters with the same problem waiting to get fixed. There’s a national shortage of the part so he thinks there may be a recall at some point.

120

I took my 2015 forester today to another dealer they were amazing they are covering repairs for no cost! Put me in a loaner until parts are obtained and repairs are complete. I thankful their are some dealers who recognize it’s a problem and are willing to do the right thing.

50

My daughter's 2014 Forrester has 2 broken rear springs with under 58K in mileage. She doesn't remember hitting a big pothole or anything similar that would have make them break. Looking at this, it might a bigger problem.

30

Also having the same problem with my '14 forester! Under 55k miles. I've only had it for a year (and very normal driving conditions) with the expectation that I was getting a solid car. Makes me regret switching from Volvo. Now Subaru has me carless, paying for my broken car, and paying for a rental car. Really disappointed.

80

(See previous post) The total charge for my 2014 Forester for 2 broken rear springs, shocks and 4-wheel alignment was $1209. It was out of warranty but I contacted Subaru America and they picked up $1000 for "good will". They did not admit to any recall or service bulletin.

120

I was extremely lucky after contacting Subaru if America and a different dealer they fixed mine and gave me a 2108 forester to use until repairs are completed

40

I have the same issue with the coil spring on 2015 Forester a week ago. It actually happened at the dealership when I was changing the oil. I was told that they would have to replace both coils and they don't have them in stock and the old part is actually on hold. They probably wait for a new part to be available. Meantime, they gave me 2018 Forester loaner and told me it could take up to a month to fix it.. I see the pattern here.

20

I have a 2015 Subaru Forrester with 46,000 miles. Rear coil spring is broken and there is a 2 week plus wait for the part. I never had an accident and I am being told that these parts break from time to time. I am also hearing that they rarely break. Are some of these parts defective? They are suggesting I replace both rear coils now to keep it even which is a tremendous cost.

10

The left rear spring on my 2014 Forester with 39,500 miles broke spontaneously while driving under normal conditions. I have never gone off road, towed, or carried heavy loads. I do live in a snowy state that use a lot of salt during the winter, so I wonder if that is the problem. I took it to a third party shop to get repaired and when they raised it on the lift and the suspension dropped down, the right spring broke. Luckily, I decided to contact Subaru of America. I sent a level-headed, just-the-facts email to Subaru of America and within a day I got a response. I took my car to the local dealership to be inspected. Within hours, Subaru of America offered to pay $1000 as a one time offer of good will assistance. The dealer ended up replacing both struts, springs, and strut mounts. Total cost was about $1500 - 1000 = $500 out of pocket for me. The replacement spring apparently has 8 coils on it instead of 6 like the old one. I also noticed some plastic encasing the bottom 1.5 coils or so (? if this would protect it from salt better). Overall I was pleased Subaru decided to step up and help out with this out of warranty repair.

20

I am having the same problem as everyone else. My 2014 Subaru Forester with 65,000 miles has a broken reach suspension coil. It literally just broke apart in my drive way. It's very disappointing. It will take 2-3 weeks to get the parts and repair. I'll be reaching out to Subaru next week. Maybe they can help.