98 honda civic flickering lights

270

Asked by Oct 05, 2012 at 11:01 PM about the 1998 Honda Civic LX

The headlights brake lights dashboard
lights flicker speedometer goes crazy.
Changed alternator checked fuses.
Turn car on with a jump but slowly
starts dying. Also removed the battery
plug and it just went dead. Im having a
stressful time with it my girl needs it to
go to work please somebody help

585

sounds like your battery has a bad cell and isnt holding its charge. try replacing the battery

270

I took it to advanced auto parts and the machine said that the battery is good but that it showed the Alternator is not sending out enough power. Can this be a bad wire or something? because the alternator is brand new.

585

i was thinking alternator at first but you said you got that changed. may not have been installed properly then, loose belt or the connections. if its a refurbished alternator it may also be faulty. the only other thing that i can think of right now is that one of your grounds has corrosion or a short causing it to not have a good contact at all times. ive found the ground off the front of your engine is what causes most issues on the dash

270

So where is the ground located monday im taking it to a shop and they will let me know. I will update on here what they tell me. I really do appreciate the help a lot.

585

this ground wire runs off the drivers side of your engine, over to around where your drivers side headlight housing is.

270

So guess what im in shock and i spent money on a nee alternator and the whole time it was a fuse for the alternator a yellow one but you could not see it burnt it had to be rempoved it was brojen now car runs fine.......unreal

585

well good side, it works now and you know you wont be needing to replace the alternator any time soon. never even thought about a fuse.

270

Yeah i know thats crazy because my friend said he checked them but i guess he thought he could just look at it and see that it was burnt out but you actually had to have it removed and look at it. Hey i do appreciate all the help bro thanks a bunch....

Im really curious which fuse this actually was that was faulty? I have a similar issue and although I believe it is in fact the alternator, I would like to weigh my other options too. Thanks

270

It was the fuse for the alternator

70

angelf66 where is fuse located?

270

It was located inside the car I believe under the steering wheel to the left. When I took it to the shop the mechanic showed me the fuse removed slightly cracked. After he replaced it the Car had no more problems

270

I believe so I wasn't the one that pulled the fuse but the mechanic showed me. Yea I would definitely try the fuse first and maybe you can save money but it was the fuse for the alternator. No problem, people helped me out so I don't mind helping right back

20

Yup that's the one. Jus happened to my civic. Fixed it myself.

Hey guy's I have 1998 ek hatch back that wont start change out the ignition switch but didn't start up I've been turning on my car by touching the starter with a flat head can't seem to figure it out any help

270

Have you changed the starter?

30

Hey I had the same problem with my 96 civic DX . All lights were flicking an speedo was jumping all around. The alt fuse had break in. Thanks for the info. Save me a lot time an money

270

No problem at all. That's why we're all here for is to help each other

20

I had the same problem as you guys I had to replace the eld (electric load detector) also speed speed sensor alternator battery and fuse So if you have this problem Try the eld and it should solve it

20

I've had the same problem if you guys are still having a problem after all this stuff try the eld its in the fuse box under the hood electric load detector

20

I also replaced an alternator battery transmission speed sensor and the fuse and the Eld

This thread is really helpful. This just happened to me today. I'm checking the fuse first. THANKS!

70

Cause I am having these same problems.. The headlights brake lights dashboard lights flicker speedometer goes crazy. Changed alternator checked fuses. Turn car on with a jump but slowly starts dying. Except now my car wont crank at all unless i push start it. Mechanic went straight to alternator and i am paying today for it and labor, but if its that fuse I would hate to mess up and spend all that money. Ok, I found one, "Alternator SP Sensor" (7.5 Fuse) Is that the same one? Thanks so much for your time by the way..

30

I have a problem flicker light when my engine stop still my headlight blinking I don't know if it's fuse problem then which fuse is that? Honda Accord 2000 model.

I have a problem with 1999 honda accord, all lights flicker, RPM goes crazy, changed alternators 3 times(used ones), electrician installed the scanner and turns out alternator is issue as during test drive voltage drops as low as 12.4V on scanner BUT in stationary position alternator never drops voltage less than 3.4V while turning ON lights, Aircon, entertainment system etc, can anyone explain WHY? Also does this flickering of RPM have any impact on ECU driving the fuel system? my 2 cents are that since voltage is flickering its also disturbing the fuel system as ECU is not able to send stable pulses to fuel system? car runs heavy under 3000RPM but drives like a charm just above 3000RPM? plz help me out of this misery, engine is F24A4

Engine is F23A4

10

Just experienced the same issue. All lights flicker but alt and battery check good. Fuses are good. Grounds are clean and tight. Still flickering. On top of that, today my radio started to cut off and on. All connections are tight and solid ground. Any suggestions? I'm guessing there's a short in a wire

10

Been having same problem. Checked everything. Spent 2 hours having mechanic checking all wires.... Decided to do more digging and found a post where a gentleman sprayed some wd40 in the alternator because he cleaned his engine and got water in his alternator. So yesterday I sprayed wd40 in/on the alternator and after months of dealing with flickering lights and dashboard...presto.....it worked! After months of being frustated I finally found the solution with wd40! Thank God! Try it.....

My 97 had flickering headlights, instrument lights, wacko speedometer. After reading through this thread and others I found blown 7.5A fuse for Alt. Spd. Snsr. Also found that a couple of wires worn through insulation above the intake manifold support bracket. Repaired the wires, replaced the fuse, all good.

Thanks for the help have the same problem flickering lights gonna check the alternator tomorrow I also had the engine pressure washed so I'm going to try the WD 40 Deb....

Hi well I have a 2000 HONDA ACCORD EX AUTOMATIC 125k had problems with FLICKERING LIGHTS head lights tail lights license plate light interior lights and dash board lights and SRS light would come on 2000 HONDA ACCORD have no alternator fuse thank God I have a good friend who works at HONDA DEALERSHIP took him 2minutes to say it was the alternator the night before me and another friend check the voltage it was fine but my buddy at the dealership said yes the VOLTAGE IS FINE BUT THE FUNNY NOISE WHEN YOU TURN THE CAR OFF IS THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR which is built into the alternator SO CHANGED THE ALTERNATOR AND MY HONDA IS ALL GOOD....

10

I have a 05 Civic EX with flickering headlights. The dash lights and speedo are not. Not to sure about the tail lights. the alt fuse looks good. This just started 4/19/16.

20

I have a 1999 honda accord ex and my dash board lights flickers the one that shows up when I crank it but don't have no dash board lights at all and my car just got a new distribitor and fuel pump but sounds rough when I crank it and will cut off and starts back up I want to no what's the problem somebody please tell me cause I need my car to take my kids to school

I have a civic 96 ,i already check the fuses in the engine bay and inside the car i also upgrade my negative earth wire.. But the fleckring of all lights was not gone.. When the engine is running i can hear a wiggleling sound i don't know if it is the alternator.. my volt meter reading is good.. What should i do...

I left the headlights on for about 2 hours snd my battery died.I got a jump and it started up but when I Got home and turn it off wouldn't start back up.the lights aren't coming on and I cajt jump start it with cables.what could be the problem

Question guys, I'm not sure about my problem, I got a flickering/blinking engine light when I go downhill, it happened today again and last week once. Never before, what could it be? I was thinking about the brake system, but could be something else? I'm not braking that hard or for that long to get the pads and calipers hot. Any suggestion what could it be? 98 Civic EX 1.6 soch 16v

PS: I only get it when I brake, just on that hill, same place. Never in the city, not on other downhill, or if I have to brake hard neither. Just at that place. :(