Transmission

Asked by Sep 08, 2016 at 03:14 PM about the 2000 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

Transmission only goes into reverse periodically.
Works ok for awhile, and then maybe next time
reverse acts like a neutral.

27,785

fluid full and clean????

960

I love auto trans. I think you have a CB4 in that car. You could have one or more of a couple of different things going on. Very common is their is this double sided clutch drum right in the middle of that trans. Very commen for it to crack. Another big problem is for this one way roller clutch to Strip out. I would guess this is what you have going on. When the drum cracks they stop moving around a few miles. Either way the trans has to be removed and disassembled. I good price on getting your trans overhauled would be around 1750. That's is my price to switch it out with one I have already rebuilt and have on my shelf.

Yes.Does not smell burnt either. Cold maybe this be the switch on external part of transmission?

960

No. I really don't think it's a switch or a sensor but you can try replacing then if you want. If you do I would like to hear the out come of the repair. I work on transmission a lot and I am always wanting to hear about what fixed what. Thanks