1998 honda accord immobilized

Asked by Jan 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM about the 1998 Honda Accord LX

My vehicle is completely immobilized due to the alarm. I just recently bought it and the previous owner installed the Prestige alarm system. I had started the car using the Prestige keychain and when i got in i forgot to put the key in first so it died. When i did put the key in it wouldn't start. Just cranks, i could hear clicking under the hood but thats it. then the key didn't want to come out. After fighting with it for about 15mins it finally came out but still won't start. WHAT SHOULD I DO!! Do i really have to have my car towed 45 miles to the nearest dealer to have this problem taken care of? Any suggestions? I pushed the button under the dash to disable the alarm and that didn't work. HELP!! I HAVE BEEN IMMOBILIZED!!!

Hello, Have you tried backing out the same way you got in? That is, starting the car with the alarm system again? Undoing everything you did before that? My alarm system goes off if I lock the car with a key, then try to unlock with the clicker. CarGrrl

Here is what I would suggest ... and my answer assumes that you are somewhat mechanically inclined ... if not ... do not attempt this. Start off by disconnecting the battery. This is not mandatory, but if you happen to accidently hit a live wire against a ground, you will not have to worry about it blowing a fuse or causing other problems. You will have to get the lower panel off under the steering column. You will also probably want to take off the upper and lower cover that are behind the steering wheel. You are going to be looking for a big (meaning thick) wire that is black & white. This is the main feed for the ignition. What you want to look for is where the black & white wire has been cut and other wires spliced in between the two halves of that wire. What you have to do here is get the spliced wires out and reconnect the black & white wires back together ... thus eliminating the alarm. If oyu do this, you should now be able to start the car normally.