I have a 98 Honda Accord V6- When I open my drivers door the hazard lights come on. In addition their is a clicking sound coming from the dash on the passengers side.

Asked by Jan 17, 2015 at 01:00 AM about the 1998 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe

Their is a security marking with a red light
by the drivers door that flashes red too. I've
read several blogs and nothing seems to be
working.  I've replaced the horn relay
sensor, trickle charged the battery and
more or less reset the computer.  Any
ideas?

3,045

Sounds like the car does have a factory or dealer installed security system. I have no technical experience with these even though I have been in the repair industry for 45 years. My only experiences with these systems have been on my own vehicles, with aftermarket add on systems installed by someone else before I purchased the cars, and I have seen a LOT of bizarre behavior in the cars electrical systems as a result of some very sloppy installs. The first thing I would do is contact Honda to see if this is a known issue & if so, maybe they can point you in the right direction or may just advise that it is a software issue and can be corrected by having the pc software reprogrammed or updated. If there isn't, I would try fresh batteries in the key fobs to see if that clears up the problem. If it doesn't, I would next try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes which would completely wipe out the main computer memory (which I see you already tried), then reconnect it and see if that works. The problem with that, is that the entire system would have to relearn everything, (such as all engine sensors, proper shift patterns egr monitors etc.) Just make sure you have your radio codes BEFORE you disconnect the battery or your radio will not work. I have found over the years that many electrical accessories on many different vehicles will do crazy things or not work at all with as much as a 1/2 volt drop in the power supply, so check that your car battery holds somewhere between 12 1/2 and 14 volts of power, and if it does check the alternator for power output, since voltage could be being lost between the alternator and the battery. If none of that works I am afraid you will have to start tracing wires in the security system to find a short or open in it. My gut feeling is a broken, shorted or crossed wire somewhere in the security system. I have found some real hack job installations and ended up just disconnecting these systems and restoring the original wire connections so everything else on the car returns to normal operation. I was always able to live without the security feature. Good luck & please let me know how you make out with this as I am very curious because as I said it sounds like a factory installed system (identical to the one in my 2000, and usually such strange electrical behavior is rarely found in factory installed systems.