I'm trying to replace my honda's rear tail light & can't get bulb out of socket

Asked by Feb 03, 2010 at 06:33 PM about the 1998 Honda Accord EX Coupe

Are there any tricks?  All the directions I find say just to pull the bulb straight out, but that is not
working.  The bulb base (where the bulb fits into the socket) is rectangular, with two small black
tabs on the very bottom of the short ends of that rectangle.  The socket itself is circular.  I can't find
any give or any way to release the bulb.  I'm afraid if there isn't a trick that I will end up breaking
the bulb.

these are a little tricky. if theres a locking hook then use a flathead to move the hook and to pop it out. if theres no locking then use a pair of pliers and wiggle it out. be careful you can easlly cut your self if the bulb breaks. one of the guys at work did that once on a 2007 ford van.

395

Worst case is: you'll break the bulb... Who cares??? I owned a '99 Accord sedan and though the taillights are cosmetically different the access point and method to remove them are the same. Turn the bul counter clockwise a quarter turn. It may take a little fartin' around but it, along with the socket itslef should come out as one assembly.

I have an old camry that had the same problem. First I attempted to break the light bulb by wrapping it in a thick layer of duct tape, with goggle on for additional protection, I tried to break the bulb with a hammer, giving it a few loud pound. To my surprise the bulb did not break. The end result was that I had loosen the bulb with the blows, and I could just pull the bulb out easily after that. The new bulb went in without problem. When I bought the new bulb at autozone, the person there offered me a packet of 'something' which was supposed to keep moisture that tend to collect at the light from corroding the connections. Putting that on for the new light bulb is probably a good idea.