6 months old brakes seemingly shot?

35

Asked by Dec 11, 2012 at 02:36 PM about the 1999 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

1999 Honda Passport 4WD
My brakes were replaced (front and back) 6 months ago.  Passenger side back required new rotor as it was
destroyed, turns out the E-Brake had been stuck on just a tiny bit...for about TWO YEARS!! (twp shops failed top
see this).  So replaced that, bled them good, now six months later, they are screeching and whining like they
are gone, and today, pedal went to the floor with nothing there.  WTH?? Did my so called knowledgeable repair
guy screw up, and if so, what are the options of what he did wrong...?  (not chatter, and have used ample
amounts of brake cleaner to no avail.  This is straight up "brakes gone out" sounds. Thanks you!!!

6,855

This is confusing.... uh, I think a brake line must have broken.

35

I had new brakes put on 6 months ago and now they seem to be out again. I can't even drive my passport they are so bad, like went to the floor today and the noise is ridiculous. So could the guy who put on the brakes done something wrong to cause this, or what could have happened that would cause this on a 6 month old set of brakes? Also, where and what should I look for to determine?

4,615

before you get start the car "pump" the pedal a few times....the pedal should get harder to push with each pump...if not theres the issue...otherwise like previously mentioned check for a broken line..check the brake fluid level

6,855

It sounds like you may have a broken caliper. This happens sometimes... I would probably result in noise also. If you can remove the wheel yourself, do so, and if you can visually inspect the rotor, also do so.

35

Just took it to shop, as I suspected, my oh-so-savvy car "friend"...WELL, PASSENGER SIDE REAR...sans one pad!!! Soo now, new pads, new piston, new rotor. Cha-Ching. Thanks for all your suggestions very much, greatly appreciated!!! Now, I'm going to drink. A LOT!

4,615

thank you for updating us!