I need a serious ? answered please...boots replaced

5

Asked by May 03, 2012 at 03:14 AM about the 1999 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

About a month ago I got the front boots replaced on my 99 honda passport. TodayI went to the doctor appt. about 2 hours away from here. As i pulled into my doctors office my car broke down. It was hard to move like if the brake was on if I steared to much to the left or right. Anyway, there was a client in office that was nice enough to check it for me. All he saiid was dont drive it, and that me and my daughter are lucky to be alive because if that broke (whatever is broke, he never said) while going 70 on freeway (just 10 minutes before that) we would have been dead for sure. So it was a long day but ended up getting rent a car to get home, and now I am just getting a new car tomorrow.
My question is ....could this be the fault of the person who replced the boots? Does that have something to do with the stearing or something? And if so, should I make them the person at fault? Or accountable??

Thank you very much for your time.

75

mostly its the fault of the installer cause it happened to me once

13,265

Are you talking about the CV joint boots?

5

Yes

13,265

Depends how long they were ruptured open and how much dirt got in while they were. You might not even know so they wouldn't either. It's not really their fault except that if they were that bad they should have recommended new CV joints. Did your car make a clicking noise when you turned a corner before?

5

No

13,265

Do you know if they put a split boot on or did they have to pull shaft to install full boot?

4,615

i doubt it was a cv joint failure, since it was installed a month prior. since i do not know how this car is setup suspension wise, i would have 3 guesses as to what failed. control arm, tie rod end or wheel bearing. where is said car now?