Volkswagen Jetta TDI Radio pooched and VW won't do a damn thing!

Asked by Jan 18, 2016 at 10:23 AM about the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline

So my radio on my 2010 VW Jetta TDI pooched out on me several months ago, and I took it back to where I originally leased my car to get it checked out. They found that indeed it was fried. So I emailed VW asking what I could do about it. After all, the car is only 5 years old and it is out of warranty but still radio's shouldn't die on you after 5 years. VW was horrible in terms of getting back to me quickly ( says within 48 hrs on website however it took them  2 weeks. Very vague and general response). So I emailed again, and this time again it was 2 weeks before I just decided to call the woman direct. When I did finally reach her on the phone, she admitted she hadn't read my email yet!  She said that I had to take it to a VW dealership so they could properly diagnose it, even though I told her I had already taken it in. She said only then when that's done they can assess from there if anything can be done on VW's part.

So I took it in to the local VW dealer, where they found "no communication" between the radio and car, and that the radio was "faulty" ( this was written on the report.). The scan only cost me $25 but still $25 out of my pocket  when I already did a scan and know that it doesn't work.  I emailed VW again with my concerns, and stated that if the radio is "faulty", then is this not a manufacturing defect that should be addressed even if the car is out of warranty at this point? ( 169,00km) .  The woman who I dealt with this time seemed much more on top of it and I actually got several calls from her telling me what was happening, that she had emailed the dealership for the report and that VW would base their decision on that.

She left me  2 messages and I finally was able to get a hold of her after calling her back numerous times and being put on hold each time for at least  40 mins or longer. It was basically near impossible to get through. Finally I got through and they told me "unfortunately VW will not be able to do anything because the car is past its warranty". So basically I am on my own.

So, to replace this radio via VW, it would cost me 600$, provided I  let them keep the pooched radio, but if they pull it out and I keep it then its $800. Why would they want the broken radio? To me I would guess they will refurbish it somehow and sell it afterwards. That's the only reason I can think of why they would want to keep it. Overall, I think VW sucks for this reason. We have a 1988 Cadillac who's radio still works. Why does a car that is 5 years old have a radio that doesn't?

So much for German engineering.

So I just wanted to vent my experience here. I know there are other VW owners out there who have experienced the same thing. for my next car I am  seriously considering a Honda instead.   

Please let me know if any of you have had a similar experience, and what did you do to get a new radio? I would like to get radio that fits the same dimensions as I really don't want to buy a trim kit for it.
thanks!

238,075

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t36009_ds552583

238,075

Sorry to hear of your experience, but parts fail. You can probably pick up a used one at your local auto recycler or ebay. Looks like around $250 and install it yourself.