99 Accord lx

30

Asked by Mar 05, 2017 at 09:39 PM about the 1999 Honda Accord LX

Just bought a 99 Accord lx . I noticed the
brake light didn't work when I hit the brake
pedal . But tail lights work when you turn
on running lights and headlights ? I
replaced the bulbs and they still don't work
. The third one in the bk window hasn't
worked at all ? The original owner said it
was a fuse they replace one of them and
they worked for min but then quit again .
When I replaced the brake light bulbs I
noticed the bk window one was burned out
so I replaced it . Still have no brake lights
???

40

Actually, it may be an easier fix than you think, just by investigating your brake light switch. You can see your brake light switch by looking under the dash, near the top of the brake pedal. The brake light switch is usually attached to a small bracket that holds the switch, activated when the pedal is depressed, in position. Once you've located the switch, check to make sure that the brake light switch's electrical connection is firmly attached and that all of the wires connecting to the brake light switch are in good condition (at least as far as you can see from your position). Then check to make sure that the switch isn't out of position or stuck in the on or off position. Unless there's been a failure somewhere within the switch itself -- a highly unlikely problem, by the way -- it's relatively simple to decide if the switch is at fault. If you're able to determine that it is indeed your brake light switch that's at fault, replacement is simple. In fact, it's likely that you won't even have to get your hands dirty to complete a brake repair of this sort. Remember, there are several different types of brake switches available, including ­hydraulic brake switches, so be sure to get the one that's right for your specific vehicle. You'll need to know the make, model and year of your vehicle but really that's about all. Your local auto parts store should be able to locate the correct part for you. It may seem elementary, but remember that it's important to properly diagnose the problem prior to buying any repair parts. It won't do you any good to buy a new brake light switch if the problem is in the wiring leading up to the switch, in the connector itself or in the wiring that goes from the switch to the brake lights at the rear of the vehicle. You can get more information on this from the link below. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake- repair/brake-light-wiring5.htm

30

Thank you . I've been reading a lot about this and considering changing the brake light switch in the pedal .a lot of forums and people we're saying if the brake lights was staying on all the time to change the switch . I check some of the wires in the trunk and they all look brand new. I forgot to mention the front right got wrecked , would that be a issue with the brake lights not working?

40

I have heard that it is possible but I have no real experiences with that happening nor have I seen it myself. What I have heard though is if that is happening it usually effects the brake light and tail light on the same side. The fact that both brakes lights are not functioning would lead me to believe that the wrecked front light would not be the cause.

3,655

In my experience I have never seen a problem with the front end being wrecked affect the operation of the brake or tail lights. The fact that a fuse was burnt out and replaced then burnt out again tells you that there is some kind of short in the wiring that causes the ground and the hot wire to cross the connection and overload and burn out the fuse when the pedal is depressed. Just check all visible parts of the wires that you can get at, looking for missing or frayed insulation. If it all appears good, check inside the bulb sockets for any dust or grease that could be causing a short between the bulb contacts when the pedal is depressed and cause a short. Many people tend to put some kind of brease or even vasaline in the bulb sockets or on the bulb base, thinking it will seal out moisture and make the bulbs easier to remove from the socket for changing them, but that is a big NO NO. If you find anything in the sockets, you can get a small or large can of spray Electrical contact cleaner at almost any parts supply store or even Walmart. Place the straw that comes on the can into the spray tip, spray a good amount into the socket and on the contacts, then use Qtips to wipe the contacts clean of all visible residue then put the bulbs back in. If they still do not work it is a safe bet that your switch is the source of your problem. You can also check the switch power supply and for continuity with a very inexpensive multi meter purchased from horbor freight(about 7 to 10$) or dept store or hardware store. Keep us posted on what you do/find.

30

Figured it out finally! Thank you all for your help . So I replaced all three bulbs and fuses for any kind of lights that I figured could possibly have to do with or tied to the brake lights . And then today I broke down and spent $28 at auto zone on the brake light switch which only took me 5 mins to replace lol. Plugged in the new switch and looked bk ,pushed the button in and out and bingo!! I have all 3 brake lights working perfectly now . Thank you for all the help!!

3,655

LOL glad to hear you fixed it!