2nd owner, car well maintenance shut iff while driving...again

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM about the 1999 Honda Accord LX

I was on the way home my car is automatic it was shifting into another gear rpms at
3,000 and engine rev and then a couple of chunk chunk noises similar to a fan blade
being hit with a rock. Then engine shuts off all lights in the dash come on gear stick
got stuck in drive and I was able to pull over almost rear ended. Had the car towed
home and has not started since. This has happen before turned out it was ignition
switch, main relay. But this is not the case this time.(i have replaced spark plugs
wires,distributor cap and rotor button,fuel pump, and fuel relay, along with regular
maintenance of oil change like recommended) very scary.My husband is very familiar
with hondas but even he can not figure out what the problem is.....mileage 200,475

3,460

You need to start by checking for fuel, spark, and compression. If those check out, move on to other things. Does the gear shift move freely with the ignition in ON? Can you push the vehicle in neutral? Does the engine spin when you try to start it?

gear shifter does not move at all have to left plastic at gear stick, stick a pen cap in to hole to move shifter to neutral to push car no the engine does not spin at all it's like it does not have enough power to start, i think the starter is shot for one but already check the fuel, sparks, but not compression yet.... checked distributor have a spark there....

3,460

Put a socket on the crank pulley nut and try to spin the engine by hand. If it doesnt spin, remove the starter and try again. Check the oil level in the engine. If its low or doesnt register, your engine is blown from lack of oil.

Best Answer

I found out the water pump that is still under warranty messed up shredded timing belt and blew off the spring located near it so car is being towed but to ppl who put on the water pump, just hope motor isn't gone....will update once i know more....thanks for the ideas.....