The car would surge in reverse and starting out after a stop.

10

Asked by Dec 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM about the 1999 Honda Accord LX V6 Coupe

Turns out my check engine light was burnt out... Explains why I wasn't getting any codes... Got a MAP sensor code. Replaced MAP sensor. Reset code and Seemed much better. Everything was fine on a 20 min test drive. Went to drive to work, then after it the engine is warmed up it acts up again and I have a major power loss when getting on the throttle on highway and freeway. Any suggestions?

3,275

How many miles on it? It could be the timing jumped or any number of problems including fuel pressure(pump failing), TPS etc. Have you had it rechecked for more codes?

10

Car has 150k on it to my knowledge. Yesterday I plugged on with a code reader. P0401 came up, which is the EGR. I replaced the EGR valve. It made a significant improvement but still has a little hiccup. I cleared the code. Drove about 80 miles and the same code came back. I know there have been issues with carbon buildup in the intake that will throw that code. Next I'll have to take that apart and clean it out.

3,275

OK Phil, based on what you just told me I am almost 100 percent positive I have your fix which I posted about an hour ago to another Honda owner. I had this identical problem with my 2000 EX V6, which was a problem for model years 98 - 2000. The problem is a too small air passage and very bad carbon build up under the EGR and in the passage and involves pulling the manifolds, drilling out the passage and inserting a larger diameter tube. You can but the parts as a kit with a new EGR valve included, but Honda's kit does not come with a 10mm drill bit or the tool to insert the tube. I made my own, but you can ebay the kit with it included and I think it was cheaper than Honda too, but I needed it right away. Here was my other post: Just as Js08016 says, or possibly even a clogged filter sock on the end of the fuel pump, but if you are going to change the pump, get a new filter for it as well. The job is easy enough to do your self through the back seat or the trunk, which could save you a lot of $$. I own this same car and found it to be quite temper mental, especially with the voltage and the fuel & certain parts of the emissions system. There is a service bulletin about an EGV valve and air passage service & repair that involves buying a kit, that has a new EGR valve and a steel sleeve. You remove the EGR valve, upper & lower intake manifolds. Then the air passage needs to be drilled out with a 10MM bit and then tap the new sleeve into the hole. This was developed because the air passages were found to be too small on these engines and the carbon builds up bad and causes a lot of problems with starting and running, and these problems do not always trip the Engine Maint. lights. Just google "2000 Honda Accord V6 EGR service kit" and you should get a bunch of links explaining it and I would try ebay motors or amazon for the kit.