Intermittent Problem starting

40

Asked by Jul 31, 2014 at 11:49 AM about the 2000 Honda Odyssey EX

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with an intermittent problem.  Three or four times a year
I am not able to start our Odyssey for no apparent reason.

If I move the van (roll) it back and forth a few feet and then try to restart it, it always
starts up again.

Any idea what this problem is or what might be causing this to happen????

thanks,

Ron Graham
rgraham1@maine.rr.com

160

Main relay

160

Have you noticed that this starting problem happens when it is a hot day and you are making lots of quick trips...like to drop kids off at school...park and turn off, then get back in and drive to the store, park and turn van off. Return to van after a quick trip into store and van won't start. You sit there for a few minutes running through the Freak out list in our head that could be wrong. You try one more time and it starts. Bingo. It is your main relay. I now know that if I wait for 10 minutes or so, the van will start again, and off I go. I do not want to go through the expense of replacing the main relay. This is a common problem...according to the forums.

40

I don't think it is caused by a hot day. I live in Maine, and we don't have many hot days. The problems is very intermittent, but it has happened at least once in the fall when the weather was in the 40's. I can tell you that if I leave it for a period of time (10min - 2 hours) it will usually start up on its own without any other action. Also, I have moved the van back an forth a few inches and that seemed to cause it to start. Still think it is the main relay?? Ron

10

any answers to if you change the ignition and main relay and still will not start????

10

transmission lock-out switch. Move out of park and back into park and retry. moving car has similar effect by changing torsional stress on lock-out.

I hace an 1995 honda odyssey,wont start,ir crank,and turnos back of,

Honda Odyssey 2004 go for a 20 minuts ride once is regular warm temperature I turn off engine then try turning it back on crank for like 5 seconds and then turns on

40

it has been some time since I have dealt with this problem. However, it seems to be caused by the ignition key imobilizer. I get a flashing key warning on the dashboard. i have found a workaround to temporarily by-pass the imobilizer problem online. if I had more money to spend on the vehicle, I would get it properly fixed by replacing the defective hardware. However, it is much too expensive to properly repair it.

I have an 07 Odyssey that intermittently won't start. It will start most of the time, but every once in a while when the key moves to start, everything in the van dies and the battery is shorted to ground (I have taken the cable off and it arcs as well as only registering a few volts across the battery). If you remove the battery terminal and arc it a few times, then it will start again if you try. Happens when its cold/hot/wet/dry, so I don't think its weather related. Just bought a new NAPA battery. When it finally does start, the radio makes you enter a code like if you totally lost power (even if I don't unplug the battery). I'm leaning toward the ignition starter switch, but can't see how that would short to ground. Any ideas?