Water on drivers side floor board after a rain..

20

Asked by Jan 10, 2016 at 11:34 PM about the 2000 Honda Accord EX

After it rains I notice a soaked carpet on my
driver's side floor board. While I am in the
car, I do not see the water coming into the
car anywhere. I do have a sunroof and read
something about the drain line from a
sunroof can leak onto the floor board. Do u
think this is the problem? How do I fix it?

4,415

The driver side drain tube runs down the inside of the left pillar. You need to remove the pillar trim and the left kick panel to get at it. If you are removing the tube you need to tie a long string to the upper end in the A pillar and then pull it down into the kick panel area of the car. The drain tubes are fastened to the 4 corners of the Moonroof tray and can be accessed from inside and outside the vehicle with the moon roof open. I have detailed instructions on the entire set up but am trying to figure out how to copy them so I can paste them or send them.

20

Thanks.. That would ne helpful

20

I've heard I can unclog them, do u know of how that can be done?

4,415

You sometimes can by using a length of something long enough and flexible enough to work through the tubing, but you do have to be careful because you can actually hit the clog or a tubing joint connector and push the sections of tubing apart causing a bigger headache. I really wouldn't suspect a clogged tube, because if it were, then the water would most likely back up in the tubing and then spill inside the car over your head somewhere around the sunroof privacy panel. I would more suspect that the tube has disconnected from the roof drain pan nipple, or has split inside the pillar or kick panel, or that the tubing has multiple parts joined by connector somewhere along the length and has come apart.

10

How do I unclog the drain have taken car twice to shop still water in sunroof HELP

5

I have a 2012 Accord with a sunroof too, but I'm getting water on the PASSENGER floorboard...could it still be the sunroof ?

4,415

If the drip tubes from the sunroof drain pan, which run down through the A pillars of the roof, disconnect from the pan nipples or at a connector joint, they can most certainly put water into the passenger compartment and the trunk.

4,415

You can view this other question I have answered before on another post here also: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t6113_ds701306

10

If it is in the floorboard, it could also be clogged drains at the base of the windshield. The water then runs in through the cabin air filter. I was searching for an easier way to fix that problem. What I did was remove both windshield wipers (the whole wiper, not just the blades). Then I removed the 5 plastic snaps that hold the large piece of plastic at the base of the windshield. Now I could reach in and scoop out the crud plugging the drains on each side of the car just in front of the windshield. I put everything back together then and the leaking stopped.

Josh -- there are two small panels I popped off of the larger plastic piece under the windshield wipers. I didn't see any debris when I looked through those. Would the crud be obvious or do I need to go ahead and remove that whole plastic piece?

So what happens if I block the drain holes at the top? I end up with a puddle on the floor of the back seat drivers side when it rains. I tarped off the top of the car until today's rain passes and I still have a smaller puddle. Not sure what that's about. Rain that hadn't finished leaking out before I put the tarp on? But if we ever see sunshine again here, what if I put silicone or something at the top of the system, at the drain holes by the window? Assuming I can find them and it ever stops raining. I don't ever open the sunroof and don't care if it works that way. 2001 Honda Accord.