misfire on cylinder 1

Asked by Jun 14, 2010 at 02:38 AM about the 2001 Ford Taurus SES

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SES and they at the shop  diagnosed my car and said my M.A.F. needs to be replaced and all 6 of my injectors for $900.00. So I got home and borrowed my neighbors little you plug under the dash and alls it said was misfire, cylinder 1. So do I need to replace everything they say and what shall I do.

9,935

Like I tell everyone. 2nd opinions are not just for your doctor!!!! Take it somewhere else. If you get the same answer, then it is the case. Having a cylinder misfire on cylinder 1 may just be something cheap and simple. But honestly, you do not know what codes they deleted out of the system. Did they perform a flow test on the injectors? Did they read the voltage at the MAF? Did you ask them HOW they came to their conclusion? Having a code of p0301 is really just that.. A code.. There are soooo many possible reasons you would get that code. My recommendation, take your car for a 2nd opinion.

675

There are a finite number of things that can cause a misfire: 1. lack of fuel 2. lack of spark 3. lack of compression. First let me say this, your MAF and injectors are not the cause. The MAF sensor on your car serves two purposes: It allows the ECM to calculate air flow into your engine, and helps the ECM infer barometric pressure. If this guy malfunctions you will experience drive-ability issues such as searching idle and lack of power. It messes up your air/fuel ratio. The injectors on the other hand, are probably also not the culprit. If they pressured up the fuel system and did an injector balance test by powering them up individually and watching the pressure drop, while comparing between cylinders, I might believe that ONE injector needs to be cleaned or replaced. Been a mechanic for 10 years and have not seen many injector problems. Most common on the Taurus: ignition misfire and vacuum leak. The coil pack and the ignition wires need to be inspected thoroughly.