01 Honda Civic

Asked by Mar 18, 2017 at 02:26 AM about the 2001 Honda Civic LX

My car keeps over heating, and when I turn
it on after a few hours, it sounds as if it will
turn off... and it has actually. And
sometimes after that it won't turn on again
for a few hours. While back someone told
me it's the sensors, but idk. Mechanics
never said anything about that, but then
again they milked me $$$$and I'm in the
same position with my car. I don't want to
give up on her yet... so is it my radiator?
And I'm having to put coolant every 2..3
days, depending if I'm driving a lot or less.

20,025

If you do not see any coolant leaking out, then you need to check for head gasket failure. Compression test and/or exhaust in coolant test. Otherwise locate the leak, may need a waterpump (if so do timing belt too), thermostat, hoses, radiator, Temp sensor and/or sender, bu tdo not buy any parts until it is check out very good for a head gasket failure. See if your exhaust smells sweet or is white smoke/steam from tail pipe or water is dripping out it or leaking from the engine, hoses, radiator ect.

I "allegedly" got a new head gasket. Drips of water from im assuming the engine. No smoke or steam. At times it smells as if something is burning, and that's when ta over heating of course. I have gotten a new thermostat as well. Water pump changed. Transmission is new too Idk if that's important to say. I took my car to a shop in August 2016, ended up getting my car back in feb 2017 because they wanted more money and nothing was being resolved! And they kept saying oh it's this, Fix it, and nope.then they said they couldn't figure it out. Then they ask for another $300 and some for a radiator. That's when I said no more. I've given alt of money and nothing is any better! How long do radiators last or should? I want to say I got in about 3..4 years ago

That's me Idk why it says that username Wild1_nyg

20,025

It does it to me every now and then just look at your user name top right of page if its not you sign out and then back in. A radiator if kept clean should last until the plastic bowls wear out if it has them. It can be rodded out if dirty and plastic bowls can be replaced. I meant Excess water exiting the tail pipe and leaks around the engine compartment. If loosing coolant and no visible leak it may be burning it and it appears as white smoke from tail pipe if its excessive but can burn it in tiny amounts unnoticed. I would still have a compression check done on all cylinders to verify it does or does not have a head gasket failure issue. A radiator shop/A/C shop will be able to fix anything with the radiator if need be. If I suspect a radiator I disconnect it and get a ride or drive another car and take it to them as its cheaper and I do not mind doing the work. If it too far gone a replacement may need to be bought. But do this if it passes compression check. Have you owned this car very long and know the service history? I ask because I am concerned it has had a head gasket issue before and someone put a head gasket fix leak in a bottle off the shelf from a store, if so the cooling passageways could be clogged up.

Maybe there is white smoke, idk. I've never noticed and no ones told me. Before I owned this car... it was my sisters. She never had a problem with it. Only dents. I honestly don't know what to say right now because for one, i don't know shit about cars. I know that I've put money into it and idk what to do. Sell as is? Or fix it and for the mean time save up for a new car?

20,025

the more it runs hot the more chances it can warp a head and blow a head gasket, To do head gaskets on a motor ran hot the heads need checked for warp and cracks, this adds cost to a repair plus it hard for me to see doing this much work without also rebuilding the heads (seals). Also they need to be resurfaced. After doing all this there still is the labour cost. I have used resurfaced heads that prior had warped and I advice against it as nearly every on rewarped with in a few years and came back for repair, after a while I changed to pulling junk yard heads, getting them checked for warp, until I find a good one, do the work to it instead of the original warped head and they worked, no problems. So if you doing the work it can be worth it cost wise, shop prices on the other hand ouch, it this case I would pull a used good running engine or sell it and start over. Like I said check the compression to know what to do, if compression is good find the bad part and replace it.

Thank you. I appreciate it

20,025

Your welcome.

Enginecreator! Question! I had "alledgly" had the head gasket replaced new and I paid.... but all signs of a blown head gaskets my Honda is showing! Since it has came back from the shop... my car has gotten worse! So my question is... what the hell does a new replaced head gasket look like? And today I bought a new radiator cap because coolant was coming out the top causing it to steam/smoke. But even after driving back home, same shit! I'm a female and I'm so tired and stressed over this! And being STRANDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

20,025

It would be hard to see it if they did not do any head work (resurfaced, valves ect.) as they machine shop would of cleaned it too, it would look like a new one on the exterior sides as valve cover will cover the top side and exhaust/intake will cover up the rest. Look for a clean head. Otherwise they may have not did any other work to head besides removing it and putting new gaskets on it, which is not worth the money spent as it has no chance of lasting. About the only thing you can do is the test in the top post to see if it has a bad gasket job on it and decide to let another shop fix it correctly or get it sold and move on.

Thanks.. I been watching some videos on YouTube and i believe I truly got screwed by them. I'm going to attempt to fix it myself. Appreciate your response.