I just bought a 2002 Passport EX with 163,350 miles. Transmission hesitation

10

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 07:25 PM about the 2002 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

I just bought a 2002 Passport EX with 163,350 miles. The previous owner said that
they had replaced the transmission recently (within the last year), when i am at a stop
light and i press the gas the engine will rev up to about 3000 RPM's then it feels like
the transmission engages and the car lunges forward. It only does it in first gear. I was
told by a friend of a friend that it could be the kick down cable may need to be
adjusted but i have never even heard of a kick down cable. The transmission is an
automatic and i am pretty sure it is a 4x4. I have 2 little buttons on the center council
one is winter and one is power. It also has a sunroof

77,905

It is highly probable that one of the solenoids is sticking, and the engine vibrations shake it loose as it only happens in low I would replace that solenoid. The buttons in the console if you push the power it changes the shift points to a higher RPM, the winter postion will cause the trans to start out in second gear to help with tire spin in snow or slick road conditions. So what I would try is start it up, push the winter button make sure the winter light comes on and try to a take off, if it stops reving up before pulling forward then it is the solenoid if it still revs then there is a problem with the torque converter. HTH

10

so yesterday morning my mom drove the passport to a doctors appointment and on the way home when the light at the freeway off ramp turned green she pushed the gas and it just revved, and would not go. She put the truck in reverse and she was able to back up but but would not move forward. When i got in the vehicle i pushed the winter button with the transmission in drive and pushed the gas and the truck started to move. since we were blocking traffic i used the opportunity to go left off of the freeway off ramp and then had to immediately stop at a red light. as soon as i stopped the winter light on the dash went off and i couldn't move again. I pushed the winter button again and was able to get into a gas station and park. Do you think that sounds more like a solenoid problem or a torque converter problem. I was wrong before the vehicle is 2WD not 4WD. Also the previous owners told me last night that the transmission was replaced with a brand new one less than 3 years ago and has less that 30,000 miles on it

77,905

Solenoid. Better do the whole set.

10

is this something that needs to be done at a transmission shop or taken to the dealer. I have a little more knowledge than the average shade tree mechanic and i can usually figure most things out unless i need special tools that are not available to rent from my local auto parts store

77,905

Clean work area is the key here, one little piece of varnish or rag thread and your work is ruined, so unless you have a nice clean place to work I would take it to a tranny shop, it is a rather messy job.