63 olds 98 394 cid been sitting for 16 years starts good runs good after 20 min running justs stops

John Fox

Asked by Oct 22, 2015 at 07:30 PM about the 1963 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4dr Hardtop

After sitting for so long, should go threw and check everything out. You may have run into some fuel issues by the sounds of it. Fuel system & carburetor is where I would start.

You don't say what you did to get it running after all that time- and as old as it is! Isn't it just amazing that the thing runs at all?

John Fox

Changed air filter fuel filter oil and filter all 4 wheel cylinders master cylinder drained fuel tank flushed all brake lines and radiator

Ok good, have to investigate the carb. Did the choke open up while it was running?, And make sure fuel is coming threw the carb. after it dies. Look down the throat of the carb and move the accelerator, gas should squirt threw...This will tell me if you are running out of gas due to the fuel pump.