Not starting

Asked by Mar 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM about the 2002 Honda Civic EX

Replaced starter and now headlights/ taillights and
some lights work but dash is dark and nothing
happens, no click or anything.

223,755

No click or no lights can mean a bad battery or a short to ground.

What's weird is it (2002 Honda civic ex) worked fine yesterday except for the starter started grinding and the car wouldn't start. So, we took out the battery, replaced the starter, put the battery back in and now ( like I said) lights all work fine ( no dimming) but dash lights don't light up at all and absolutely no sounds or anything when trying to start it.

87,075

Did anything arc during the battery disconnect? if so check the main fuses, it could have popped one or more. they are located in the power distribution box under the hood.

We checked the fuses and the ignition1 (40 amp) fuse blew but, we attempted to replace it with a (50 amp) and it blew right away.

Is there a way to check to see if it's a short to ground? The Car's been running great till now.

87,075

Go back and check the starter wiring, check for something pinched or grounded out under there first. If some goes haywire after the work you just did, go back and recheck your work.

We checked and nothing. We think our next best bet is the ignition switch.

87,075

Find out what is on the circuit that blows the fuse and see if you find something obvious, then if not disconnect a battery cable, doesn't make any difference, put a test light in between the cable and battery, replace blown fuse, then start disconnecting the items on that circuit until the light goes out and repair or replace the component. then out it back together watching the light, if it stays of you've fixed it. Note some vehicles have a parasitic load and this will cause the lamp to glow slightly, this is normal.

Ok. Will do that. Thank you.

How do I figure out what to check that the ignition fuse controls?

87,075

a wiring diagram for your vehicle, sometimes you can find them on the internet, but the best place is a shop manual or your local library in the reference section.

345

I would also question the "new" starter. Wouldn't be the first time a part was defective from the factory.

Its remanufactured, we tested it with a voltmeter and it's got power to it.

345

But when you put power to it does it spin?

With the voltmeter?

Otherwise, when we try, it blows the fuse.

345

Wire the starter (not installed in the car) so you can briefly apply power directly from the battery to see if the starter motor advances.

Had the starter bench tested yesterday and it's working. I didn't see your response until just now.

345

Ok, when you look inside the hole where the starter attaches to the engine can you see if the flywheel has damage to the teeth?

345

Also, if the car has an aftermarket alarm system it might be spliced into the wiring for the ignition switch (follow a black and white wire) there might be a short that will blow the fuse every time you try to start. Do all accessories work at the ON(I) and ON(II) positions?

Found the short. Car's running great. Thank you all for the help.

345

Great, what was it??

A nut fell and landed right under the starter and I guess made contact somehow cause it didn't feel like enough room to make physical contact.

87,075

Yep, like I stated go back and check your work.