The air conditioning in my 2016 Nissan Rogue wasn't working and then began working.

20

Asked by Mar 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM about the 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I was taking my daughter to the airport in a heavy rain.  The car started and ran, but the air conditioning, window defoggers, and blind spot lights didn't work.  It made the trip scary as the front window kept fogging up.  As we opened the windows to help the situation, we were rained on.  The car is less than 3 months old and the windows still fogged up..

247,265

Have the service department at your local Nissan dealership look the vehicle over, since it is still new, you are under warranty, and no reason why you should have to fix it at this point. Sounds electrical in nature.

20

Mark, thanks. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and the associated diagnosis and fix.

247,265

Since it's a brand new vehicle, I'm sure not many will chime in.

90

Yes! My 2016 Rouge's AC seems to work when it wants to. I took it in and 2.5 hours waiting in the service department they said they replaced a switch. A week later it again stopped working. The air just is not very cold and 81 degrees outside we ended up just rolling the windows down. To the repair shop again on Monday (but of course it's working now) ugh!

90

Well again they said nothing was wrong with it! I picked up my car and the AC was running ICE COLD a few days later here I am with the passenger side vent blowing the coldest and it gets warmer with every vent there after ending in a very lukewarm vent in the back. Three days of work missed because I have to bring my car in the shop and it only has13,000 miles!

30

I have a 2015 that is doing the exact same. The AC stops and starts as it pleases. Dealership can't duplicate it.

50

My 2015 has done the same thing since I bought it. Happened first time the second month I had it. It happened again today and I happened to be going right by dealership. They said they have had others with same problem. Said repair would be in the $1000 range and that repairs don't seem to always work. He had no helpful options and I left thinking I will never buy Nissan again.

50

Exact same problem and was told the exact same thing. I left the dealership with the same attitude! Said they have heard of the problem, repair $1k and don't always work. Also said car would have to be in the shop for a couple of days and offered to charge me for a rental car. Called another dealer and he said he is not familiar with the problem and to bring car in to him and he will check if for free and give me a loner car for free. I will see how that goes. If they can not identify and fix the problem I will trade the Rogue in and you can be sure it will not be on another Nissan!

20

I have the same problem. The dealership can't duplicate the problem while it is at the shop. I'm under warranty but they won't replace anything unless they see the blowers not working. I can't take the car on long trips or drive it in conditions when the windows might fog up because it is dangerous when it stops working! Are there any technical bulletins out on this?

I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue with less then 10,000 miles and the air conditioning system went out. I had problems with Nissan before and thought I'd give that other chance cuz this car has good gas mileage. But I think I'm done with Nissan after this

I have a 2015 Nissan rouge the a/c stops working after an hour. they told me this was normal

40

so I have a 2016 rogue that has 19,000 miles on it. coming home from camp I've notice that my ac stopped working and on that day it just happen to be 103F degrees. called the dealer made an appointment drove the car in and showed the service writer what was going on with it I've made sure to show him what it was doing so there for they cant say we cant duplicate the problem. 3 days later they called and said the a/c compressor is the problem and they replaced it. picked up my cars drove it 3 miles down the road guess what yup it problem is still there. I was smart enough to video the problem as I was driving the car back to the dealer. walked in told the service that I have just drove my car off the lot and the problem is still there showed him the video. another 2 days in the shop now they come up with another problem they said it a intake temp sensor. I will let you guys know after I pick up the car today 07/11/17

30

I've had the same issue with my 2016 Nissan Rogue. I've brought it in 4 times for them to resolve the problem but because its intermittent, it's hard for them to replicate. It's a big disappointment since I've owned three other Nissan vehicles since I started driving without any issues. My car is still at the dealer so I'm waiting to see what they come back with. Clearly, this has been an issue with the 2015 models as well and with all these complaints, I would've expected for Nissan corporate to take a real approach in handling the situation.

20

Just got off the phone withe the Nissan customer complaint department. I have the same issue with my 2015 Rogue, ac goes out randomly on long road trips. Has happened three times this summer in Texas heat. Regional office was no help, said they would not even try to fix until dealer could replicate the issue. Also bought a Nissan Frontier a few months after Rouge. So after buying two Nissans in a row I can safely say I will not buy another one.

20

Personally, from reading tons of reports about defective Rogue A/C units, I have read only one report that ended with a successful fix - and it made sense to me. The evaporator was freezing up particularly on highway trips. The evaporator was replaced with a newer (different year) model's evaporator - not the same year as problem vehicle - and the problem was resolved.

Will suggest that to dealer, thank you

10

I have a 2015 Rogue with less than 25,000 miles on it. On three different road trips, with my children in the car, my air conditioning has stopped working after 2-2.5 hours(never in the city only after several hours of driving). I have taken it into three dealerships in two different states. Two dealerships said it was the Intake temperature sensor and they have seen this same problem several times, but they can't duplicate the problem so the warranty will not fix it. Once the car sits overnight it works again for a while. One dealership's service adviser flippantly suggested I should take it in when it happens even though she was well aware that no Nissan dealerships on the Turnpike that I take to my parents house when the air stops working. Really glad that dealership is not the one I normally deal with because the service person was incredibly condescending and rude. So we started a case with the Nissan company to get it fixed since it is under warranty. As everyone said above Nissan will not fix it. Wish I had never bought a Nissan and most certainly will not again. Extremely frustrated!

20

"Not able to duplicate" is a common tactic for many car manufacturers. The problem is that your car is still under warranty. They would gladly waste your time and take your money if your car's warranty was expired. From your description, I am fairly certain that your A/C is freezing up - most likely the evaporator. It often takes extended driving on a hot, humid day to facilitate the car's A/C to freeze up. Then, after driving for another 20 minutes or so the A/C will thaw, and the A/C will work again for 20 minutes and then refreeze. I am afraid that the only way you can get help with this is to duplicate it yourself, and immediately bring it in. I know that you stated that this was difficult to do, but it probably is the only thing you can do. In any case, I would contact a Nissan dealer to see if you could arrange such an encounter: car' A/C freezes, bring it in to show them, etc. What a pain. If you live long enough, you will eventually encounter this sort of problem: stonewalling by a car dealer or manufacturer. Y YOur particular problem is so common on the 2014-2016 Rogue that undoubtedly Nissan has a good idea what is causing the problem. Unfortunately, if Nissan admits it, it will cost them dearly, and they will not want to admit it. Good luck. PS I seriously doubt it is a sensor. It has all the markings of a iced-up A/C which can be caused by a couple things, and the obvious ones are easy to eliminate (pressures on both the high and low side). Since this problem is so common, it most likely is a defect.

Have the same problem with 2016 Highlander. One year old with approx. 30K. AC started blowing hot air intermittently during long drive to Florida.