The air conditioning in my 2016 Nissan Rogue wasn't working and then began working.

20

Asked by Mar 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM about the 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I was taking my daughter to the airport in a heavy rain.  The car started and ran, but the air conditioning, window defoggers, and blind spot lights didn't work.  It made the trip scary as the front window kept fogging up.  As we opened the windows to help the situation, we were rained on.  The car is less than 3 months old and the windows still fogged up..

261,195

Have the service department at your local Nissan dealership look the vehicle over, since it is still new, you are under warranty, and no reason why you should have to fix it at this point. Sounds electrical in nature.

20

Mark, thanks. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and the associated diagnosis and fix.

261,195

Since it's a brand new vehicle, I'm sure not many will chime in.

100

Yes! My 2016 Rouge's AC seems to work when it wants to. I took it in and 2.5 hours waiting in the service department they said they replaced a switch. A week later it again stopped working. The air just is not very cold and 81 degrees outside we ended up just rolling the windows down. To the repair shop again on Monday (but of course it's working now) ugh!

100

Well again they said nothing was wrong with it! I picked up my car and the AC was running ICE COLD a few days later here I am with the passenger side vent blowing the coldest and it gets warmer with every vent there after ending in a very lukewarm vent in the back. Three days of work missed because I have to bring my car in the shop and it only has13,000 miles!

80

I have a 2015 that is doing the exact same. The AC stops and starts as it pleases. Dealership can't duplicate it.

100

My 2015 has done the same thing since I bought it. Happened first time the second month I had it. It happened again today and I happened to be going right by dealership. They said they have had others with same problem. Said repair would be in the $1000 range and that repairs don't seem to always work. He had no helpful options and I left thinking I will never buy Nissan again.

100

Exact same problem and was told the exact same thing. I left the dealership with the same attitude! Said they have heard of the problem, repair $1k and don't always work. Also said car would have to be in the shop for a couple of days and offered to charge me for a rental car. Called another dealer and he said he is not familiar with the problem and to bring car in to him and he will check if for free and give me a loner car for free. I will see how that goes. If they can not identify and fix the problem I will trade the Rogue in and you can be sure it will not be on another Nissan!

40

I have the same problem. The dealership can't duplicate the problem while it is at the shop. I'm under warranty but they won't replace anything unless they see the blowers not working. I can't take the car on long trips or drive it in conditions when the windows might fog up because it is dangerous when it stops working! Are there any technical bulletins out on this?

10

I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue with less then 10,000 miles and the air conditioning system went out. I had problems with Nissan before and thought I'd give that other chance cuz this car has good gas mileage. But I think I'm done with Nissan after this

10

I have a 2015 Nissan rouge the a/c stops working after an hour. they told me this was normal

70

so I have a 2016 rogue that has 19,000 miles on it. coming home from camp I've notice that my ac stopped working and on that day it just happen to be 103F degrees. called the dealer made an appointment drove the car in and showed the service writer what was going on with it I've made sure to show him what it was doing so there for they cant say we cant duplicate the problem. 3 days later they called and said the a/c compressor is the problem and they replaced it. picked up my cars drove it 3 miles down the road guess what yup it problem is still there. I was smart enough to video the problem as I was driving the car back to the dealer. walked in told the service that I have just drove my car off the lot and the problem is still there showed him the video. another 2 days in the shop now they come up with another problem they said it a intake temp sensor. I will let you guys know after I pick up the car today 07/11/17

60

I've had the same issue with my 2016 Nissan Rogue. I've brought it in 4 times for them to resolve the problem but because its intermittent, it's hard for them to replicate. It's a big disappointment since I've owned three other Nissan vehicles since I started driving without any issues. My car is still at the dealer so I'm waiting to see what they come back with. Clearly, this has been an issue with the 2015 models as well and with all these complaints, I would've expected for Nissan corporate to take a real approach in handling the situation.

50

Just got off the phone withe the Nissan customer complaint department. I have the same issue with my 2015 Rogue, ac goes out randomly on long road trips. Has happened three times this summer in Texas heat. Regional office was no help, said they would not even try to fix until dealer could replicate the issue. Also bought a Nissan Frontier a few months after Rouge. So after buying two Nissans in a row I can safely say I will not buy another one.

40

Personally, from reading tons of reports about defective Rogue A/C units, I have read only one report that ended with a successful fix - and it made sense to me. The evaporator was freezing up particularly on highway trips. The evaporator was replaced with a newer (different year) model's evaporator - not the same year as problem vehicle - and the problem was resolved.

Will suggest that to dealer, thank you

20

I have a 2015 Rogue with less than 25,000 miles on it. On three different road trips, with my children in the car, my air conditioning has stopped working after 2-2.5 hours(never in the city only after several hours of driving). I have taken it into three dealerships in two different states. Two dealerships said it was the Intake temperature sensor and they have seen this same problem several times, but they can't duplicate the problem so the warranty will not fix it. Once the car sits overnight it works again for a while. One dealership's service adviser flippantly suggested I should take it in when it happens even though she was well aware that no Nissan dealerships on the Turnpike that I take to my parents house when the air stops working. Really glad that dealership is not the one I normally deal with because the service person was incredibly condescending and rude. So we started a case with the Nissan company to get it fixed since it is under warranty. As everyone said above Nissan will not fix it. Wish I had never bought a Nissan and most certainly will not again. Extremely frustrated!

40

"Not able to duplicate" is a common tactic for many car manufacturers. The problem is that your car is still under warranty. They would gladly waste your time and take your money if your car's warranty was expired. From your description, I am fairly certain that your A/C is freezing up - most likely the evaporator. It often takes extended driving on a hot, humid day to facilitate the car's A/C to freeze up. Then, after driving for another 20 minutes or so the A/C will thaw, and the A/C will work again for 20 minutes and then refreeze. I am afraid that the only way you can get help with this is to duplicate it yourself, and immediately bring it in. I know that you stated that this was difficult to do, but it probably is the only thing you can do. In any case, I would contact a Nissan dealer to see if you could arrange such an encounter: car' A/C freezes, bring it in to show them, etc. What a pain. If you live long enough, you will eventually encounter this sort of problem: stonewalling by a car dealer or manufacturer. Y YOur particular problem is so common on the 2014-2016 Rogue that undoubtedly Nissan has a good idea what is causing the problem. Unfortunately, if Nissan admits it, it will cost them dearly, and they will not want to admit it. Good luck. PS I seriously doubt it is a sensor. It has all the markings of a iced-up A/C which can be caused by a couple things, and the obvious ones are easy to eliminate (pressures on both the high and low side). Since this problem is so common, it most likely is a defect.

10

Have the same problem with 2016 Highlander. One year old with approx. 30K. AC started blowing hot air intermittently during long drive to Florida.

Have same problem with my 2015 rogue. 4 times I've had it into the dealer each time they at least change parts and yet my air conditioner still works when and if it wants and the buttons change themselves. They tested freon they checked all the circuits they replaced computer circuit board they repaired the hose from compressor with new orfice and parts and last week they replaced new computer part called amplifier to send stronger signal to compressor and stop buttons from changing themselves. Worked good for one week then on sunday driving on hwy set my cruise control and shortly after the buttons changed themselves and i lost air conditioning again. Not sure if there is a fix anymore. Starting to feel like I'm stuck with a problem vehicle. Always drove Honda's but wanted to try something new. Not a very good first impression. Very disappointed.

Our 2015 Rogue has the exact same issues as all of the comments above. The dealer has replaced the control panel, 'amplifier', and a couple of other items after three extended stays at their shop. Of course they cannot duplicate the air conditioning failure because it is sporadic, but we have videos that show it swapping back in forth from inside air to outside air and manual override doesn't work. When it switches to outside air, the air conditioning does not work. The car is still under warranty and we are meeting with the dealer here in Charlotte today to see if we can work a deal on a different car- not a Rogue!

My heart goes out to you. I have never been so frustrated with a new vehicle like this. Mine does exactly the same thing. Air conditioner works pretty good with inside air but if the button changes on it's "own" I might add to outside air I lose air conditioning. It has done all these things at the dealer so they have got to see for themselves. I would have to guess by the fact that they have done all the same repairs to yours as they have to mine that they really don't know what's causing it and there just replacing parts. Sad thing is I believe it's a Nissan problem that should be addressed. They are continually putting these faulty systems in there vehicles. Hope all goes well for you.

20

My 2015 Rogue also has the A/C problems being documented here. The air is cold only intermittently. The Outside Air button automatically switches on and cold air is replaced by warm /humid air. Then after a while it MAY get cold again. This is the second summer I've suffered through this. My dealership has replaced multiple sensors and parts, including the compressor, in 4 separate visits. Luckily they were able to recreate the problem). Unfortunately every fix is temporary. The sad thing is, I kinda like the car otherwise but the A/C problems make me want to push it off a cliff!

15

Hey all...Same problem with our 2014 Nissan Rogue. Love the car otherwise, but when you are driving at highway speeds, outside air temp in the 90's, high humidity and the sun pouring in the windows...It is dang uncomfortable when it quits working. So, I am going to add a little to my description that I haven't seen here. My description is this...When it happens, the air blower seems to be choked off. That is, we have the fan set on high and it is like the dampers are closing off on all the vents. You can still hear the blower going like mad (high-speed), but no air coming from any of the vents at all. No matter what mode it is set to. I could handle a little heat if we had air movement. Can't really roll the windows down at 75 MPH because it kills the ears. Anyway, it has happened 5 times now. Three times I have had it in to repair, with no luck. Oh...The last time I had it in, they changed the cabin air filter and said that it was causing the problem. Said that it was our fault because we refused service the last time we had it in...we were in for a recall and they said that we needed new brakes and tires, nothing to do with the AC. I have paper work that showed the cabin air filter as green and not needing to be changed. I asked them to explain that since it was barely 2-months in-between services. I was told by the service rep that if I had turned it on "fresh" air, then the air would blow because it bypasses the filter and it wouldn't be blocked by that dirty filter. However, it doesn't matter whether I am on "recycled" air or "fresh" air, the blower won't dump any air into the cabin. By the way, took the Rogue in to another service center to have the brakes worked on and they told me that it didn't need brakes...Imagine a business not taking my $ when I told them I needed brakes. Sorry for the rambling, but this has been a frustrating experience. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue of the air flow dropping or being cut-off.

20

Something that I was NEVER told when I bought this car is that the compressor will modulate to only provide an "acceptable" amount of cold air to "save the compressor's lifespan." In other words, if you turn the A/C on full blast and put the temperature down as low as possible, it will pump out cold air until the sensor reads that the cabin has been "sufficiently cooled." At that point, it will begin pumping out hot air until the sensor reads that more cooling is needed. So on a 100 degree day, you will get cold air at first, but then it begins blowing out hot air, which means you need to turn off the A/C or roll down the window. This is one of the most ridiculous features I have ever heard of. The Nissan service rep told me that thousands of people have complained, but it is what it is. Had I known this when I was car shopping two and a half years ago, I never would have bought it.

40

This is possibly the best answer I have read on the issue of Nissan's bad A/C. It makes perfect sense, though. Some modern buildings that have a closed environment often do the exact same thing. Thanks!!!!

10

Funny I have been fighting with Nissan since April on my A/C. I have taken my 2015 Rogue to the shop 5 times now for them to say "IT IS WORKING FINE" I have taken videos of what my air conditioning does it switches between settings, sounds like the air shuts down and then blows hot air after 3 minutes of blowing cool air, then switches between recirculated air and outside air. It is pretty sad when Master Mechanics can't seem to say there is an issue, but a 14 year old girl says what's wrong with your air conditioning it is blowing hot air? Funny thing is though I guess that the Master Mechanics have not tried googling the issue online or they would know this is a problem. Funny how they even said Ma'am we drove this 200 miles and it works fine. I would have to say this has me so mad that they are out and out lying to the consumers that give them all jobs. I would seriously have to consider not buying anymore Nissan's if this is the type of treatment we get. Obviously if they would read all of these issues, they would think HEY THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE AIR UNIT IN THESE VEHICLES. I finally got so frustrated I contacted corporate office and filed a complaint.

40

They know that it is a problem.

Here in Charlotte, NC, our dealer is working on this problem for the fourth time and has now kept the car four a full three weeks while providing us with a complimentary rental. He has been truly understanding and apparently is in contact with Nissan North America design engineers to ferret out the problem. Fortunately our 2017 is still under factory warranty and the dealership loaned us a new Maxima until the air is fixed.

So I have an update on my 2015 rogue. I have two post already about the problems with my air conditioner. The last fix was an amplifier which worked for about three weeks. I live in Canada and went on holidays to maine and everything worked fine to the point my wife asked me to turn it down she was to cold. then coming home it stopped and that was it. Back to my dealer it went. left it with dealer on Monday aug 21 picked it up today fri aug 25. So they put rogue on diagnostic to read problem codes turned out it was reading codes the mechanic had never seen before. those codes were sent to Nissan tec who I am guessing are the engineers of these vehicles. Turns out they had never seen these codes either. But they know there is a problem and actually have a couple 2015 rogues in there possession that have all the issues we are having and are tearing them down to try and find the issue. So if you are having same issue I am going to dealer right now and just putting on new parts is not going to work. Dealers telling you there is nothing wrong is false information. SO as it stands they are waiting on Nissan tec for and answer for a fix. If one is not found then they will try to work out a deal to take the vehicle off my hands send it to auction and put me in another vehicle. So if you need to show this to your dealer feel free. THERE IS NO FIX AS OF RIGHT NOW. WE have problem vehicles. It may be a while waiting to hear back but if I receive any more info as to a fix or not I will pass it along. Hope this helps.

20

I even called Nissan headquarters (corporate office) and talked to customer relations about it. The woman put me on hold to talk to one of her engineers, and she got back to me with the same thing that the dealership told me: what the A/C is doing is what it is supposed to do. I talked to the service rep at my dealership, and he said that his Nissan Altima or whatever he had does the same thing, but that hot air doesn't come out, just a "warmer cold air." That's a good way of saying "hot air." Every single person who has been in my car on a summer day asks what is wrong with the A/C. I'm on the verge of trading the car in and getting something else, which is a shame because it only has 25,000 miles on it. The car is great except for the A/C. You wouldn't think that you would have to ask "does this car have an eco-friendly modulating compressor?" when you go car shopping, but now that I have had this issue, I certainly will for future cars. I think everyone who is having this problem should file a complaint with Nissan customer relations. The woman I talked to said that if enough people do so, they will have no choice but to look into it. The dealership told me the same thing, and it could potentially lead to a recall.

20

Typical cold air in a commercial or residential HVAC system comes out between 52 and 55 degrees, so I would imagine it would be the same for cars. In heating, the air is typically 80 to 85 degrees. I would bet that the temperature that comes out in my car is around 55 at first and then changes to 72 to 75 degrees. I have a temperature gun at home that I plan on using to test this. If it really is that high, it is totally unacceptable.

Same issue just today, 2015 Nissan Rogue, after 5 hrs driving, with one 30 mins stop, AC just stopped working, Temperature was 103F. Had to drive another 2 hours without AC and my kids were sick and that made it even worse. Mileage is about 24K and I don't use much AC either, thus this sucks big time. Will check with dealer and will update n what they say. Anyone else got it fixed?

10

Have your dealer to check incar temperature sensor or evaporator sensor. if readings are close to 35ºF close to freezing point and freezing evaporator, causing to shut compressor operation. replace evap sensor .

My 2016 Rogue started having AC/heating issues, but is a little different. sometimes the driver's side air is warmer than the passenger side. on cooler days, the driver's side can get warmer than the passenger side. dealership already replaced the driver's side air door mix motor and the AMP unit. that did NOT resolve the issue.