The air conditioning in my 2016 Nissan Rogue wasn't working and then began working.

40

Asked by Mar 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM about the 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I was taking my daughter to the airport in a heavy rain.  The car started and ran, but the air conditioning, window defoggers, and blind spot lights didn't work.  It made the trip scary as the front window kept fogging up.  As we opened the windows to help the situation, we were rained on.  The car is less than 3 months old and the windows still fogged up..

298,965

Have the service department at your local Nissan dealership look the vehicle over, since it is still new, you are under warranty, and no reason why you should have to fix it at this point. Sounds electrical in nature.

40

Mark, thanks. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and the associated diagnosis and fix.

298,965

Since it's a brand new vehicle, I'm sure not many will chime in.

140

Yes! My 2016 Rouge's AC seems to work when it wants to. I took it in and 2.5 hours waiting in the service department they said they replaced a switch. A week later it again stopped working. The air just is not very cold and 81 degrees outside we ended up just rolling the windows down. To the repair shop again on Monday (but of course it's working now) ugh!

140

Well again they said nothing was wrong with it! I picked up my car and the AC was running ICE COLD a few days later here I am with the passenger side vent blowing the coldest and it gets warmer with every vent there after ending in a very lukewarm vent in the back. Three days of work missed because I have to bring my car in the shop and it only has13,000 miles!

110

I have a 2015 that is doing the exact same. The AC stops and starts as it pleases. Dealership can't duplicate it.

150

My 2015 has done the same thing since I bought it. Happened first time the second month I had it. It happened again today and I happened to be going right by dealership. They said they have had others with same problem. Said repair would be in the $1000 range and that repairs don't seem to always work. He had no helpful options and I left thinking I will never buy Nissan again.

150

Exact same problem and was told the exact same thing. I left the dealership with the same attitude! Said they have heard of the problem, repair $1k and don't always work. Also said car would have to be in the shop for a couple of days and offered to charge me for a rental car. Called another dealer and he said he is not familiar with the problem and to bring car in to him and he will check if for free and give me a loner car for free. I will see how that goes. If they can not identify and fix the problem I will trade the Rogue in and you can be sure it will not be on another Nissan!

60

I have the same problem. The dealership can't duplicate the problem while it is at the shop. I'm under warranty but they won't replace anything unless they see the blowers not working. I can't take the car on long trips or drive it in conditions when the windows might fog up because it is dangerous when it stops working! Are there any technical bulletins out on this?

20

I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue with less then 10,000 miles and the air conditioning system went out. I had problems with Nissan before and thought I'd give that other chance cuz this car has good gas mileage. But I think I'm done with Nissan after this

20

I have a 2015 Nissan rouge the a/c stops working after an hour. they told me this was normal

80

so I have a 2016 rogue that has 19,000 miles on it. coming home from camp I've notice that my ac stopped working and on that day it just happen to be 103F degrees. called the dealer made an appointment drove the car in and showed the service writer what was going on with it I've made sure to show him what it was doing so there for they cant say we cant duplicate the problem. 3 days later they called and said the a/c compressor is the problem and they replaced it. picked up my cars drove it 3 miles down the road guess what yup it problem is still there. I was smart enough to video the problem as I was driving the car back to the dealer. walked in told the service that I have just drove my car off the lot and the problem is still there showed him the video. another 2 days in the shop now they come up with another problem they said it a intake temp sensor. I will let you guys know after I pick up the car today 07/11/17

60

I've had the same issue with my 2016 Nissan Rogue. I've brought it in 4 times for them to resolve the problem but because its intermittent, it's hard for them to replicate. It's a big disappointment since I've owned three other Nissan vehicles since I started driving without any issues. My car is still at the dealer so I'm waiting to see what they come back with. Clearly, this has been an issue with the 2015 models as well and with all these complaints, I would've expected for Nissan corporate to take a real approach in handling the situation.

60

Just got off the phone withe the Nissan customer complaint department. I have the same issue with my 2015 Rogue, ac goes out randomly on long road trips. Has happened three times this summer in Texas heat. Regional office was no help, said they would not even try to fix until dealer could replicate the issue. Also bought a Nissan Frontier a few months after Rouge. So after buying two Nissans in a row I can safely say I will not buy another one.

80

Personally, from reading tons of reports about defective Rogue A/C units, I have read only one report that ended with a successful fix - and it made sense to me. The evaporator was freezing up particularly on highway trips. The evaporator was replaced with a newer (different year) model's evaporator - not the same year as problem vehicle - and the problem was resolved.

Will suggest that to dealer, thank you

30

I have a 2015 Rogue with less than 25,000 miles on it. On three different road trips, with my children in the car, my air conditioning has stopped working after 2-2.5 hours(never in the city only after several hours of driving). I have taken it into three dealerships in two different states. Two dealerships said it was the Intake temperature sensor and they have seen this same problem several times, but they can't duplicate the problem so the warranty will not fix it. Once the car sits overnight it works again for a while. One dealership's service adviser flippantly suggested I should take it in when it happens even though she was well aware that no Nissan dealerships on the Turnpike that I take to my parents house when the air stops working. Really glad that dealership is not the one I normally deal with because the service person was incredibly condescending and rude. So we started a case with the Nissan company to get it fixed since it is under warranty. As everyone said above Nissan will not fix it. Wish I had never bought a Nissan and most certainly will not again. Extremely frustrated!

80

"Not able to duplicate" is a common tactic for many car manufacturers. The problem is that your car is still under warranty. They would gladly waste your time and take your money if your car's warranty was expired. From your description, I am fairly certain that your A/C is freezing up - most likely the evaporator. It often takes extended driving on a hot, humid day to facilitate the car's A/C to freeze up. Then, after driving for another 20 minutes or so the A/C will thaw, and the A/C will work again for 20 minutes and then refreeze. I am afraid that the only way you can get help with this is to duplicate it yourself, and immediately bring it in. I know that you stated that this was difficult to do, but it probably is the only thing you can do. In any case, I would contact a Nissan dealer to see if you could arrange such an encounter: car' A/C freezes, bring it in to show them, etc. What a pain. If you live long enough, you will eventually encounter this sort of problem: stonewalling by a car dealer or manufacturer. Y YOur particular problem is so common on the 2014-2016 Rogue that undoubtedly Nissan has a good idea what is causing the problem. Unfortunately, if Nissan admits it, it will cost them dearly, and they will not want to admit it. Good luck. PS I seriously doubt it is a sensor. It has all the markings of a iced-up A/C which can be caused by a couple things, and the obvious ones are easy to eliminate (pressures on both the high and low side). Since this problem is so common, it most likely is a defect.

10

Have the same problem with 2016 Highlander. One year old with approx. 30K. AC started blowing hot air intermittently during long drive to Florida.

50

Have same problem with my 2015 rogue. 4 times I've had it into the dealer each time they at least change parts and yet my air conditioner still works when and if it wants and the buttons change themselves. They tested freon they checked all the circuits they replaced computer circuit board they repaired the hose from compressor with new orfice and parts and last week they replaced new computer part called amplifier to send stronger signal to compressor and stop buttons from changing themselves. Worked good for one week then on sunday driving on hwy set my cruise control and shortly after the buttons changed themselves and i lost air conditioning again. Not sure if there is a fix anymore. Starting to feel like I'm stuck with a problem vehicle. Always drove Honda's but wanted to try something new. Not a very good first impression. Very disappointed.

Our 2015 Rogue has the exact same issues as all of the comments above. The dealer has replaced the control panel, 'amplifier', and a couple of other items after three extended stays at their shop. Of course they cannot duplicate the air conditioning failure because it is sporadic, but we have videos that show it swapping back in forth from inside air to outside air and manual override doesn't work. When it switches to outside air, the air conditioning does not work. The car is still under warranty and we are meeting with the dealer here in Charlotte today to see if we can work a deal on a different car- not a Rogue!

50

My heart goes out to you. I have never been so frustrated with a new vehicle like this. Mine does exactly the same thing. Air conditioner works pretty good with inside air but if the button changes on it's "own" I might add to outside air I lose air conditioning. It has done all these things at the dealer so they have got to see for themselves. I would have to guess by the fact that they have done all the same repairs to yours as they have to mine that they really don't know what's causing it and there just replacing parts. Sad thing is I believe it's a Nissan problem that should be addressed. They are continually putting these faulty systems in there vehicles. Hope all goes well for you.

20

My 2015 Rogue also has the A/C problems being documented here. The air is cold only intermittently. The Outside Air button automatically switches on and cold air is replaced by warm /humid air. Then after a while it MAY get cold again. This is the second summer I've suffered through this. My dealership has replaced multiple sensors and parts, including the compressor, in 4 separate visits. Luckily they were able to recreate the problem). Unfortunately every fix is temporary. The sad thing is, I kinda like the car otherwise but the A/C problems make me want to push it off a cliff!

25

Hey all...Same problem with our 2014 Nissan Rogue. Love the car otherwise, but when you are driving at highway speeds, outside air temp in the 90's, high humidity and the sun pouring in the windows...It is dang uncomfortable when it quits working. So, I am going to add a little to my description that I haven't seen here. My description is this...When it happens, the air blower seems to be choked off. That is, we have the fan set on high and it is like the dampers are closing off on all the vents. You can still hear the blower going like mad (high-speed), but no air coming from any of the vents at all. No matter what mode it is set to. I could handle a little heat if we had air movement. Can't really roll the windows down at 75 MPH because it kills the ears. Anyway, it has happened 5 times now. Three times I have had it in to repair, with no luck. Oh...The last time I had it in, they changed the cabin air filter and said that it was causing the problem. Said that it was our fault because we refused service the last time we had it in...we were in for a recall and they said that we needed new brakes and tires, nothing to do with the AC. I have paper work that showed the cabin air filter as green and not needing to be changed. I asked them to explain that since it was barely 2-months in-between services. I was told by the service rep that if I had turned it on "fresh" air, then the air would blow because it bypasses the filter and it wouldn't be blocked by that dirty filter. However, it doesn't matter whether I am on "recycled" air or "fresh" air, the blower won't dump any air into the cabin. By the way, took the Rogue in to another service center to have the brakes worked on and they told me that it didn't need brakes...Imagine a business not taking my $ when I told them I needed brakes. Sorry for the rambling, but this has been a frustrating experience. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue of the air flow dropping or being cut-off.

50

Something that I was NEVER told when I bought this car is that the compressor will modulate to only provide an "acceptable" amount of cold air to "save the compressor's lifespan." In other words, if you turn the A/C on full blast and put the temperature down as low as possible, it will pump out cold air until the sensor reads that the cabin has been "sufficiently cooled." At that point, it will begin pumping out hot air until the sensor reads that more cooling is needed. So on a 100 degree day, you will get cold air at first, but then it begins blowing out hot air, which means you need to turn off the A/C or roll down the window. This is one of the most ridiculous features I have ever heard of. The Nissan service rep told me that thousands of people have complained, but it is what it is. Had I known this when I was car shopping two and a half years ago, I never would have bought it.

80

This is possibly the best answer I have read on the issue of Nissan's bad A/C. It makes perfect sense, though. Some modern buildings that have a closed environment often do the exact same thing. Thanks!!!!

10

Funny I have been fighting with Nissan since April on my A/C. I have taken my 2015 Rogue to the shop 5 times now for them to say "IT IS WORKING FINE" I have taken videos of what my air conditioning does it switches between settings, sounds like the air shuts down and then blows hot air after 3 minutes of blowing cool air, then switches between recirculated air and outside air. It is pretty sad when Master Mechanics can't seem to say there is an issue, but a 14 year old girl says what's wrong with your air conditioning it is blowing hot air? Funny thing is though I guess that the Master Mechanics have not tried googling the issue online or they would know this is a problem. Funny how they even said Ma'am we drove this 200 miles and it works fine. I would have to say this has me so mad that they are out and out lying to the consumers that give them all jobs. I would seriously have to consider not buying anymore Nissan's if this is the type of treatment we get. Obviously if they would read all of these issues, they would think HEY THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE AIR UNIT IN THESE VEHICLES. I finally got so frustrated I contacted corporate office and filed a complaint.

80

They know that it is a problem.

Here in Charlotte, NC, our dealer is working on this problem for the fourth time and has now kept the car four a full three weeks while providing us with a complimentary rental. He has been truly understanding and apparently is in contact with Nissan North America design engineers to ferret out the problem. Fortunately our 2017 is still under factory warranty and the dealership loaned us a new Maxima until the air is fixed.

50

So I have an update on my 2015 rogue. I have two post already about the problems with my air conditioner. The last fix was an amplifier which worked for about three weeks. I live in Canada and went on holidays to maine and everything worked fine to the point my wife asked me to turn it down she was to cold. then coming home it stopped and that was it. Back to my dealer it went. left it with dealer on Monday aug 21 picked it up today fri aug 25. So they put rogue on diagnostic to read problem codes turned out it was reading codes the mechanic had never seen before. those codes were sent to Nissan tec who I am guessing are the engineers of these vehicles. Turns out they had never seen these codes either. But they know there is a problem and actually have a couple 2015 rogues in there possession that have all the issues we are having and are tearing them down to try and find the issue. So if you are having same issue I am going to dealer right now and just putting on new parts is not going to work. Dealers telling you there is nothing wrong is false information. SO as it stands they are waiting on Nissan tec for and answer for a fix. If one is not found then they will try to work out a deal to take the vehicle off my hands send it to auction and put me in another vehicle. So if you need to show this to your dealer feel free. THERE IS NO FIX AS OF RIGHT NOW. WE have problem vehicles. It may be a while waiting to hear back but if I receive any more info as to a fix or not I will pass it along. Hope this helps.

50

I even called Nissan headquarters (corporate office) and talked to customer relations about it. The woman put me on hold to talk to one of her engineers, and she got back to me with the same thing that the dealership told me: what the A/C is doing is what it is supposed to do. I talked to the service rep at my dealership, and he said that his Nissan Altima or whatever he had does the same thing, but that hot air doesn't come out, just a "warmer cold air." That's a good way of saying "hot air." Every single person who has been in my car on a summer day asks what is wrong with the A/C. I'm on the verge of trading the car in and getting something else, which is a shame because it only has 25,000 miles on it. The car is great except for the A/C. You wouldn't think that you would have to ask "does this car have an eco-friendly modulating compressor?" when you go car shopping, but now that I have had this issue, I certainly will for future cars. I think everyone who is having this problem should file a complaint with Nissan customer relations. The woman I talked to said that if enough people do so, they will have no choice but to look into it. The dealership told me the same thing, and it could potentially lead to a recall.

50

Typical cold air in a commercial or residential HVAC system comes out between 52 and 55 degrees, so I would imagine it would be the same for cars. In heating, the air is typically 80 to 85 degrees. I would bet that the temperature that comes out in my car is around 55 at first and then changes to 72 to 75 degrees. I have a temperature gun at home that I plan on using to test this. If it really is that high, it is totally unacceptable.

10

Same issue just today, 2015 Nissan Rogue, after 5 hrs driving, with one 30 mins stop, AC just stopped working, Temperature was 103F. Had to drive another 2 hours without AC and my kids were sick and that made it even worse. Mileage is about 24K and I don't use much AC either, thus this sucks big time. Will check with dealer and will update n what they say. Anyone else got it fixed?

10

Have your dealer to check incar temperature sensor or evaporator sensor. if readings are close to 35ºF close to freezing point and freezing evaporator, causing to shut compressor operation. replace evap sensor .

20

My 2016 Rogue started having AC/heating issues, but is a little different. sometimes the driver's side air is warmer than the passenger side. on cooler days, the driver's side can get warmer than the passenger side. dealership already replaced the driver's side air door mix motor and the AMP unit. that did NOT resolve the issue.

60

We welcome the opportunity to discuss claims for problems with the Nissan Rogue. lemonlawclaims.com

10

I am running into the same problem on my 2015 Nissan Rouge SL.Not completely sure if this is a fix, but I remember I replaced the carbon filter and the cover was not fitted correctly. Had the same issue again tonight and I removed the cover took the cabin filter and replace the filter cover and as of now everything is working fine. Will let you know if this continues to fix the problem.

80

You might be correct. I have been suspicious of the cabin filter because of other posts and dealing with our own filter. I will keep an eye on it. I have actually been thinking of removing the filter entirely to see how that plays out. Thanks.

20

update. my dealer changed out the entire 'heater box'. that seems to have fixed the hot/cold issue on my 2016

80

Thanks. I will remember that.

60

Hi, my 2014 Xtrail (Rogue in US) have similar issues; aircon suddenly would not work and blow warm air; the controller switched from internal air circulation to external air; for whatever reason(?). While the blower continues to blow, the aircon would not work; even though the aircon light is ON. Very dangerous situation as cabin gets really hot and humid in summer and when the cold change comes, the windshield will be completely fogged up! I went to Nissan service centre 3x and left the car over-night twice. First time Nissan changed the whole compressor – didn’t solve it, then they changed the A/C relay; but all were misdiagnosed, so the issue remains. Since the diagnostic codes does not make sense to the technician; during my third visit, he did the conventional step by step trouble shooting. A total of 5 days of trouble shooting and finally determined the fault at evaporator sensor. A week past now and the a/c is looking good – no more ficky intermittent a/c! If anyone of you see this symptom, go and tell the service workshop that it could be and probably is a faulty evaporator sensor. I’m surprised that Nissan did not have a complete Failure Mode Engineering Analysis on this system – it would have saved them and everyone millions of $ and time.

I have read each and everyone's comments on this problem. I have the Nissan Rogue 2015 and ever since I bought it, very similar problems was existing.My only problem is that I have already put almost 150,000 miles and the Rogue is not covered. Nissan Dealership want to charge the Diagnose of $140.00 and don't understand why when they have to market the car and so many users having the same issues. The air would not blow inside the car either hot or cold and when checking under the hood, the compressor pipes are so cold as ice. I can hear the air blowing noise but don't feel at all coming in. Talked to one of the mechanics and mention that may be the wind blow outlet must be shut. So will do the check and will post the results. I will not go to the dealership at all.

Oh dear, this is very distressing. We've been trying to buy a Rogue(2014-16) and this is the first I've heard of the a/c problem. We live in Phoenix, AZ so good a/c is crucial. Any idea if this problem is relative to where the vehicle is made? I previously owned a Ford with airbag recalls and the one's made in Mexico did not have the issue.

80

I have been following this issue for over a year. IMO, please be careful and read all the posts regarding the Rogue's AC problems.

60

There are some systemic problems with the air-conditioning system and our office is presenting claims. Check https://lemonlaw.blog/category/nissan

50

Hello. I have already written about this issue with my 2015 rogue air conditioner problem in September. I decided last week to call Nissan Canada just to let them know of my situation in case they are keeping track of those having problems. So I talked to a lady who was very nice she listened to my concern and told me I would be contacted within three to five working days by a representative about my issue. A few days later I was contacted and I again explained my issue with her. She told me she would look into it and call me back. Two days later she did call back as promised. She had contacted my dealer to find out what work had been done. She also talked to Nissan Teck people and the engineers of the vehicle. I was told flat out that there is a problem and that they are still trying to figure it out but at this time they still do not know why or what is causing it If and when it is sorted out they will contact me. You can also go on Nissan Bulletins for updates on Nissan problems. That being said I am no farther ahead then where I was in September. But I do think it would be a good idea to call Nissan if you have this issue to make them aware of how many there are with this issue. Sorry this is all the news I have as of now. If I ever get a fix I will let inform this group.

80

This problem, IMO, has to be a computer/software issue. If it was a hardware issue, I think it would have been solved a long time ago.

60

Hi, Guys - especially GuruD5XVN and 15rogue - if your aircon behaves like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nid5hOF-r5g. Which is exactly what mine is like, then like what I said before, it was diagnosed and now confirmed for almost a month now, to be due to a faulty evaporator sensor! If you see my reply above, this could not be diagnosed using Nissan's diagnostics - tried with 3 full days; probably due to poor FMEA preparation. My local Nissan here was good enough to decide to fault find my car using traditional trouble shooting by part replacement - for two more full days! Believe me, you could be fooled that it is a computer/software issue, as the system is so integrated that a simple failing part will exhibit complex control behaviour. If you see the same symptom as you see in this youtube, ask to have your evaporator sensor replaced - it only costs <$100 - not much to lose.... If yours work out, please tell me, cause I want to know.....

60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nid5hOF-r5g see it happening just before 1:32. aircon switched by itself from internal circulation to external circulation and the aircon just blow in warm and humid outside air from then on. Please get Nissan to look at your evaporator sensor.

80

Thanks, Martin. I noted your response before. Thanks for the more thorough explanation.

10

I was having the same issue with my 2016 Rogue still on warranty. Took it to the dealership twice. First time said no Freon so they did whatever to put Freon in and still didn’t work so I took it back. Now they are saying that there is a small pinhole in the condenser that was caused by a stone flying up and hitting it so it’s not covered by warranty. Does anyone know if that is even possible?

10

Check if condenser is working by touching the pipes, one side should be cool. I don't think its condenser, its thermostat

10

Thank you Avinesh. Just heard from the insurance company that there was indeed a hole in a pipe in the condenser. He took photos for me and they will pay to fix it except for my deductible.

10

Our 2017 rogue just did this today while on the interstate in 90 degree temperatures. We stopped at a rest stop and popped the good to find a considerable amount of ice built up on the lines. My husband removed the ice and the a.c. immediately started working again. So ever 30 minutes or so we would have to turn off the a.c. to let the lines melt and turn back in. We just bought this in Dec and has 5000 miles on. We will be calling our local dealer tomorrow

60

Your line is at least cold; mine was completely hot. So, I think your problem may just be the thermocouple/thermostat. Tell us how you go. I hope it is quickly resolved under warranty.

Daughter has a 2018 Rogue Sport , she traded in a 2017 Nissan Versa the versa had the same problem now the rogue has the same problem , so by the looks of it this has been happening for atleast 4 years and nissan still doesnt have a clue

50

Took my 2015 in for probably the fourth time in the last three years to have them look at it again. I even suggested to them beforehand this time that it could either be the thermostat or evaporator sensor, because the previous times they told me there's nothing wrong and it's doing what it's supposed to do. So magically, as soon as my three-year warranty expires (literally one month after), they find the problem and fix it. They told me the temperature sensor for the cabin had not been calibrated correctly. So far, I have not had any issues, but it's only been three days since they fixed it. To recap in case you guys don't feel like going back to read my previous posts, my issue was that cold air would come out for about a minute, then warm air would blow for about two to five minutes, then the cold air would kick back on, and so on. Not fun having warm air blow on you when it's 100 degrees outside. The dealership told me each time I brought it in that there wasn't an issue and that everything was fine. They also claimed to not be able to duplicate the issue every time.

I'll bet Ignacio could figure this out in about 2 seconds. If you really like the vehicle that much, try taking it to an expert independent shop. They must know more than these wacky dealers !

i have the same issue on my 2015 rogue that i got 1 month ago from a ford dealer... no warranty flm