theres a clanking sound under my car when i accelerate

40

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM about the 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX

your CV joints been looked at in a while....shimmy under there and poke at the boots to see a cracked boot-

27,235

Exhaust rattle maybe? Or exhaust shield? Hard to say when you not looking at the vehicle

96,925

Ten year old car so it could be anything. Does it sound heavy like your axle like Roy suggested or does it sound light like a exhaust system heat shield?

40

Yikes, all good questions. It's sounds more like something is dragging under my car near the front driver's side. My mechanic can't look at it till Monday but he suggested wheel bearings. I can't afford anything major and I'm starting to get worried.

96,925

Wheel bearing don't make clunking sounds on acceleration. They start out by making noise when you turn. You can check them by grabbing the spring and spinning the wheel. If it's bad, you can feel the balls crunching in the race.

27,235

Maybe youll get lucky and something is contacting the brake rotor like a rock or something wrapped around the axle ya never know best of luck

could be one motor mount-

25

Sounds like engine/gearbox mount

1,105

get someone to sit in the car and put it in gear while on the brakes and press the accelerrator and see if your motor moves more than roughly an inch and see if there is a clunking from the drivers side mount. If thats the problem and youre feeling brave enough to do it yourself get one mount for under 100 its 3 bolts max and all you have to do is put a jack under the motor with a piece of wood so you dont dent your oil panjust jack it up till the pressure is off the mount. undo the two nuts and the bolt and pull it out.. its really easy if youre willing to do it

40

I don't think I'm brave enough to try this myself. I took it to Big O Tires today for an analysis. Their telling me I need to replace the struts and axles. My mechanic who is out of town until Monday said it could be the wheel bearings but he's just going off of the sound I described to him. I think I'll wait til he returns. Not ready to shell out over $1K to Big O Tires and not sure I truly believe their diagnosis.